Build-A-Business. Results of Shopify's Third ECommerce Competition
A visual overview of the eight-month ecommerce competition run by Shopify, which helped bring over ten-thousand businesses to life online. Winners take home $50.000 investment from a mentor for a 5% stake in their
- Participants (↑7024 vs. 2011) - 10.084.
- Total sales by participants (↑42.891.796) - $55.099.629.
- Total sales by category: Fashion - $22,2m - 383k orders; Electronics - $10.8m - 120k orders; Art - $6.1m; Everything else - $15.9m - 193k orders.
- Sales by shops from eligible countries: Canada (sales - $4.4m, orders - 53k, avg order - $83.62); USA (sales - $37.5m, orders - 582k, avg order - $64.39); UK (sales - $5.2m, orders - 92k, avg order - $53.08);
Australia (sales - $7.3m, orders - 78k, avg order - $93.47); NZ - $493k.
- Longest distance of all orders - 158 km - 37.430 times around the world.
- Longest distance travelled by a single order - 19.873km.
- Posts in the build-a-business forums - 11.546.
- Most helpful person in the build-a-business forums - Danielle Rodriguez (248 answers, 86 votes, 12.013 words).
www.iristy.com - check out her store!
- Popular badges earned in the build-a-business competition: 50 orders, 4.357; Mobile app, 2.667; Custom URL (Set-up your custom domain or purchase one from Shopify), 6.003; Answer, 1.117 (Answer a question
asked by another member); Adwords, 2.066; Add an app, 5.196 (Install an app from the Shopify App Store); Intl order, 1.868; Analytics, 3.492 (Install Google Analytics on your store). We encouraged everyone to
participate even if they weren't eligible to win.
And the winners are...
- Winners are defined by shops with the highest sales over any two-month period: 1) Fashion & apparel - Fresh-Tops.com (Las Vegas, NV, USA); Mentor, Founder & CEO, Fubu, Daymond John; 2) Electronic &
gadgets -TheGameKlip.com. (Redmond, WA, USA); Mentor, Author, 4-hour work week, Tim Ferris; 3) Design, art & home - Goldieblox.com (Okland, CA, USA); Mentor, Designer, Swissmiss, Tina Roth Eisenberg; 4)
Everything else - Skinymetea.com.au (Mellbourne, Australia); Mentor, Author, Lean Startup, Eric Ries; 5) Canadian winner - Canadianicons.ca (Gatineau, QC, Canada).
- A $50k investment from their category mentor in return for a 5% stake in their business ($50.000).
- A mentorship session with all four mentors in beautiful New York City to discuss how to grow their business even more (Vip mentor trip to New York city).
- A special one-hour media strategy training session with editors at Fast Company magazine (Website feature in fast company).
- A big boost to their advertising budget to keep the ball rolling ($20.000 online marketing credit).
PayPal | MailChimp | .co | Facebook | FastCompany.
Shopify.com/build-a-business | Design by @warren.