Email Marketing Is Alive And Well
Online retail is driven by email - it always has, and always will. As social networks continue in their exponential growth, many marketers believe it's time to abandon the email ship. But be sure you look before you leap! See
some recent trends and take a look at the future of email marketing.
The current state of email
- 92% of adult Internet users maintain at least 1 email account.
- 72% of email users check their inboxes 6 or more times each day.
- 65% of adult Internet users that visit social media site.
- In fact, there are 3 times as many email accounts as all of Facebook and Twitter accounts combined!
- Predicting the growth of email accounts worldwide: 1) 2012 - 3.38 billion; 2) 2013 - 3.31 billion; 3) 2014 - 3.84 billion; 4) 2015 - 4.09 billion; 5) 4.34 billion.
- Daily worldwide email traffic: 1) 2012 - 144.8 billion; 2) 2013 - 154.6 billion; 3) 2014 - 165.8 billion; 4) 2015 - 178.3 billion; 5) 2016 - 192.2 billion.
The online market
- 71% of adult Internet users buy products online.
- 9% of total retail sales in the US are made online.
- 13% of holiday shoppers list email newsletters as their favorite source of locating deals.
- Compared to: 1) From word of mouth - 9%; 2) From Facebook - 3%; 3) From Twitter - 1%.
Outbound and online
- 59% of marketers believe email is the best outlet for generating new revenue.
- The top 100 retailers in 2011 sent consumers an average of 177 emails each.
- Some retailers sent over 500!
- 83% of emails make it into the recipient's inbox: 1) Global average email open rate - 20.1%; 2) Global average click-through rate - 5.2%; 3) Global average unsubscribe rate - 0.31%.
How effective is email marketing?
- Consumers who receive email marketing spend 83% more when shopping: 1) Their orders are 44% larger; 2) They order 28% more often.
- Average return on email marketing investment: $44.25 for every dollar spent: 72% of marketers believe this ROI is very good.
Chief marketing officers rate the effectiveness of email marketing
- Nurturing new prospects - 76%.
- Generating brand awareness - 76%.
- Increasing customer retention - 75%.
- Driving website visits - 73%.
- Driving lead generation - 69%.
- Generating sales - 65%.
- Email marketing can be up to 20 times more cost effective than other marketing outlets!
- 63% of marketers plan on increasing their spending on email marketing.
- Email marketing spending is predicted to reach $2 billion by 2014.
iContact - Email Marketing from Vocus | Sources: http://blog.kissmetrics.com/email-crushes-social-media; http://www.radicati.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Email-Statistics-report-2012-2016-Exucutive-
Summary.pdf; http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2011/Search-and-email/Report.aspx; http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/254944/why_your_business_still_needs_newsletters.html; http://blog.act-on.com/
2012/05/09/10-stats-about-email-marketing-effectiveness-and-roi; http://online.wsjc.om/article/SB10001424052970204572531102978140364.html; http://econsultancy.com/us/blog/10404-email-marketing-stats-
consumers-open-just-20-of-messages; http://promolabs.com/2012/01/12/reasons-email-marketing-is-smart; http://blog.mailermailer.com/2012/10/email-marketing-stats-trends; http://promolabs.com/2012/02/full-