The First Dogs And Their Presidents
#1 George Washington (1789-1797)
- George Washington is the father of the American Foxhound. He carefully bred and maintained his dogs, listing more than 30 hounds in his journal.
- Dogs: 1) Dog name: Sweet lips; Breed: American Staghounds; 2) Dog name: Drunkard, Taster, Tipler and Tipsy; Breed: Black & Tan Coonhounds.
#3 Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809)
- Thomas Jefferson instituted the first dog license. He had a dog hanged once for attacking his sheep.
- Dogs: Dog name: Buzzy and Unknown; Breed: Briards Spaniel.
#16 Abraham Lincoln (1861-1865)
- Abraham Lincoln's dog, Fido, like him, suffered a violent death. fido was knifed to death by a drunk who became angry when fido jumped on him with muddy paws.
- Dogs: Dog name: Fido and Jip; Breed: Mutt(s).
#18 Ulysses S. Grant
- Dogs: Dog name: Faithful; Rosie; Breed: Newfoundland Mutt.
#26 Theodore Roosevelt (1901-1909)
- Theodore Roosevelt's bull terrier, Pete, almost caused an international scandal when he ripped off the French Ambassador's pants during a White House function.
- Dogs: 1) Dog name: Pete; Bread: Bull Terrier ; 2) Dog name: Skip; Breed: Rat Terrier; 3) Dog name: Jack and Peter; Breed: Terriers; 4) Dog name: Blackjack; Breed: Manchester Terrier; 5) Dog name: Manchu; Breed: Pekingese;
6) Dog name: Rollo; Breed: Saint Bernard; 7) Dog name: Sailor Boy; Breed: Chesapeake Bay Retriever; 8) Dog name: Gen and Susan; Breed: Mutts.
#33 Harry S. Truman (1945-1953)
- "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog" - Harry S. Truman.
- Dogs: 1) Dog name: Feller; Breed: Cocker Spaniel; 2) Dog name: Mike; Breed: Irish Setter.
#35 John F. Kennedy (1961-1963)
- "Ask not what your country can do for your dog - ask what your dog can do for your country" - John F. Kennedy.
- JFK was the first president to request that his dofs meet the presidential helicopter when he arrived at the White House.
- JFK had 14 dogs. The most of any president.
- Dogs: 1) Dog name: Gaulle; Breed: Poodle; 2) Dog name: Charlie; Breed: Welsh Terrier; 3) Dog name: Pushinka; Breed: Mutt (gift from Russia); 4) Dog name: Shannon; Breed: Irish cocker Spaniel; 5) Dog name: Wolf; Breed:
Wolfhound and Schnauzer; 6) Dog name: Clipper; Breed: German Shepherd.
#40 Ronald Reagan (1981-1989)
- Lucky grew really big and had poor leash walking skills. Lucky used to pull both President Reagan and his wife, nancy around the White House. The President was also photographed being pulled across the White House lawn
during the visit by British Minister, margaret Thatcher.
- Dogs: 1) Dog name: Lucky; Breed: Bouvier des Flandres; 2) Dog name: Rex; Breed: King Charles Spaniel; 3) Dog name: Victory; Breed: Golden Retriever; 4) Dog name: Peggy; Breed: Irish Setter; 5) Dog name: Taca; Breed: Siberian
Husky; 6) Dog name: Fuzzy; Breed: Belgian sheepdog.
#41 George H. W. Bush (1989-1993)
- Millie has been the subject of a book which has sold more copies than the autobiography of George Bush himself.
- Dogs: 1) Dog name: Millie; Breed: Springer Spaniel; 2) Dog name: Ranger; Breed: One of Millie's puppies.
#42 Bill Clinton (1993-2001)
- Former "first dog" struck and killed at about 12:15 pm on Route 117 in New York, January 2002.
- Dogs: 1) Dog name:: Buddy; Breed: Chocolate Labrador.
#43 George W. Bush (2001-2009)
- Spot, is the only dog to serve two terms in the White House during two administrations - Spot is the offspring of George H. W. Bush's dog, Millie.
- Dogs: 1) Dog name: Spot "Spotty"; Breed: English Springer Spaniel; 2) Dog name: Barney; Breed: Scottish Terrier; 3) Dog name: Miss Beazley; Breed: Scottish Terrier.
#44 Barack Obama (2009-present)
- Children's book star. A dog's life in White House. Bo has a Facebook page with over 950 likes. Bo has a Beanie Baby named after him.
- Warren Harding's dog, Laddie Boy had his own chair to sit on at cabinet meetings.
- In 1944, Franklin D. Roosevelt was running for his fourth term when rumors surfaced that his first dog Fala, had accidentally been left behind when visiting the Aleutian islands. After allegedly sending back ships to rescue his dog,
Roosevelt was ridiculed and accused of spending thousands of taxpayers' dollars to retrieve his dog. At a speech following this Roosevelt said, "You can criticize me, my wife and my family, but you can't criticize my dog".
- 32 of the 444 presidents had dogs as pets. 19 variations of the breed were pets of the presidents throughout history: 1) Bull Terrier; 2) Rat Terrier; 3) Fox Terrier; 4) Scottish Terrier; 5) Manchester Terrier; 6) Airedale Terrier;
7) Welsh Terrier.
- Large and small. Largest and smallest presidential dogs. Largest: Rolla (Teddy Roosevelt). Smallest: Big Ben & Sonnie (Herbert Hoover).
- Litter divider. Historical first dog political affiliations: 1) Democrat (17); 2) Independent (4); 3) Republican (18); 4) Whig (3).
Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidents_of_the_UNited_States_by_political_affiliation; http://uspolitics.about.com/od/usgovernment/tp/presidents_usa_04.htm; http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/611788/Whig-
Party/ http://www.guideposts.org/per-stories-pets-of-american-presidents; http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2012/02/a-history-of-presidential-pets/1#.UBByT2FYuds; http://from-the-doghouse.com/Presidential_
Pooches.html; http://www.obama-d0g.com/Presidential_Pooches.html; http://www.obama-dog.com/blog/2010/01/george-washington-sweet-lips-seentwell-and-volean-american-taghounds-drunkard-taster-tiples-nad-tipsy-and.html;
http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/presidential-pet-stories.html; http://www.time.com/time/.photogallery/0.29307_1830236.00.html; http://www.thepawsitter.com/blog/all-the-presidents-dogs.