Global Family Business
- Family business ownership around the world: South America - 85%; North America - 90%; Europe - 90%; Africa - 70%; Asia - 90%; Australia - 65%.
- Family businesses account for 70-90% of all businesses worldwide.
- Big brand family business: Red Bull (Europe); Toyota, LG (Asia); New Corporation (Australia); Ford (USA); Jose Cuervo (Mexico).
- Size of family ownership: Toyota Motor Corp. (2%); Ford Motor Co. (40%); Samsung (22%); Arcelor Mittal (50%); Banco Santander (2.5%); PSA Peugeot Citroen (42%); Cargill (85%); Fiat S.p.A. (30%); LG group
(59%); Robert Bosch GmbH (7%).
- Studies have shown about 35 percent of Fortune 500 companies are family-controlled (+- 1/3).
- Did you know? The entire Walton family fortune (US$93 billion thanks to Walmart) nearly surpasses Bill gates and Warren Buffett's fortunes combined!
- Up and comers in family business: Holly Branson, heir of Sir Richard Branson - Virgin Group; John Elkann, heir of Gianni Agnelli -Fiat Motors; Karl-Johan Persson, heir of Erling Persson - Hennes & Mauritz (H&M);
Jane Lauder, heir of Ronald lauder - Estee Lauder; Geoff Molson, heir of Eric Molson - Molson Coors (Brewing Co.); Owen Sisk, heir of John Sisk - Sisk Group (Construction); Delphine Arnault gancia, heir of Bernard
Arnault - LVMH (Louis Vuitton) Christian Dior; Ivanka Trump (also Donald Junior and eric), heir of Donald Trump - Trump Organization; Allegra Versace, heir of Gianni Versace - Versace; Aditya Mittal, heir of Lakshmi
Mittal - Mittal Steel Co.
- Famous families in business: Rockefellers; Rothschilds; Guggenheims; Oppenheimers; Onassis.
The KPMG Times | $1.50 - 20 April 2012.
Designed and compiled by: DigitLab - Socially Speaking.
References: http://www.campdenfb.com/article/40-under-40-rising-stars-family-business; http://www.inheritancefunding.com/Inheritance-Funding-Blog/bid/20410/Heirs-to-Today-s-Largest-Fortunes; Pearl and Kristies
(2009, spring), "Understanding the Family Business" by Keanon J. Alderson.