Graphic Design Is Good For Business
- Best places for design jobs today: 1) Austin, TX. Average salary: $54.824. Cost of living rank: 94. Percentage of workforce in creative class: 36.8%; Newark, NJ. Average salary: $40.000. Cost of living rank: 107.
Percentage of workforce in creative class (cost of living rank 100 is average): 32%; 3) Bridgeport, CT. Average salary: $78.353. Cost of living rank: 147. Percentage of workforce in creative class: 38%; 4) San Antonio,
TX. Average salary: $46.203. Cost of living rank: 93. Percentage of workforce in creative class: 30%; 5) Salt Lake City, UT. Average salary: $55.064. Cost of living rank: 98. Percentage of workforce in creative class:
- 5 things to consider before moving: 1) Job title position; 2) Location (city vs. town); 3) Education (better prospects with better education); 4) experience (better prospects with better experience); 5) where you work (for
yourself/small business/large design firm).
- Median salary: Graphic designer - $48.000; Interactive designer - $64.000; UX Designer - $87.000; Information architect - $99.000.
- Graphic designers, 26.3% are self employed.
- "The evolution from 'design' to 'design thinking' is the story of the evolution from the creation of products to the analysis of the relationship between people and products, and from there to the relationship between people
and people" - Tim Brown, Author of "Change By Design".
- "It was about taking a process that was very, very complex, the process of being able to stay with another person on a short-term basis, and just removing all the complexities" - Brian Chesky, Co-founder & CEO at
- Now, more than ever, we face complex problems that designers are uniquely capable to solve by integrating technology, business and human factors. 4 web design tips for startups: 1) Responsive web design (proper
website display and interaction on any device is now standard); 2) Bring on a designer co-founder (avoid "painting lipstick on a pig" by including a designer from the get-go); 3) make sure to stand out (good design
transcends culture and language barriers); 4) Collaborate and listen (the goal is pleasurable overall experience: functional; beautiful; and simple).
- Startups with designer co-founders: Pinterest; AirBnB; Square; Instagram; Typekit; Android; Tumblr; Vimeo.
- New offices: 1) Evernote - remember everything. Employees: 72. Founded: 2007. Mountain View, CA, 94041. Funding total: $166m; 2) Zappos.com powered by Service - shoes onine. Employees: 1.500. Founded:
199. Shepherdsville, KY, 40165. Funding total: $62.8m; 3) AirBnB - book online accommodations. Employees: 656. Founded: 2008. San Francisco, CA, 94103. Funding total: $138m.
How many designers does it take to screw in a lightbulb? From startup to big business, maximize experience: dosing team.
- Information architect: Organization of data (ex. site maps and navigation); Information management; Good groupings of information; Software and languages: Oracle, Unified Modeling language (UML).
- Visual designer: Aesthetics of a user interface within branded guideline; Background in graphic design - whether print or online related skills (illustration, animation, or photography), good aesthetics.
- US designer: Overall responsibility for the design's experience leading and briefing all of the people in specialist roles skilled in all four of these areas enough to project manage and communicate with specialist roles.
- Usability engineer: Measures a user interface's effectiveness with user analytics, and recommends corrections; Skills (questionnaire design, interviewing, test facilitation, format and software - testing software, and common
industry format for usability testing).
- Interaction designer: Good workflows; defining what controls do and communicating their functions to users design the controls, mechanisms, and processes that users require to perform their goals.
Say goodbye to the scrabbly lines, low-fidelity layouts, and tired UI widgets that most prototyping tools stick you with. InVision lets you create stunningly realistic wireframes and prototypes without compromising your
Presented by: invision | InVision - invisionapp.com.
Sources: http://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2012/06/ux-design-defined.php; http://www.thehumanfactorblog.com/2009/11/05/design-thinking-quotes-from-change-by-design.