How CIO's Spend And Waste Their Time
Flexible ideas for today's CIO's balancing business and innovation.
How CIO's spend their time
- Top concern for CIO's: 1) Leadership; 2) Infrastructure updates; 3) Compliance; 4) Security; 5) Resource management; 6) Business alignment; 7) Customer management; 8) Budgets.
How CIO's waste their time
- Time breakdown: 1) Technical - 24%; 2) Non-technical - 76%.
Do CIO's spend too much time looking forward?
- 75% of CIO's believe their innovation role is: 1) Improving business process - 50%; 2) Improving IT process - 25%. CIO's role in innovation - 100% innovation.
How CIO's should spend their day
- Carefully balance time across constituents: 1) Across - 30%; 2) Above - 30%; 3) Below - 30%; 4) Yourself - 10%.
How CIO's should spend their time
- An eye on these 3 areas determines the time spent with constituents keeping a CIO on target: 1) Current strategic goals and objectives; 2) The nature of the business and resulting IT archetype; 3) Tactical and operational necessity.
Essential CIO tools
- 3 presentations to help unify and simplify: 1) The vision presentation; 2) The strategy presentation; 3) The business presentation. Save time - communicate effectively - build influence.
- Do's and don'ts for CIO's: 1) Do's: Governance; tackle financials; Fight fire with fire; Surface the data; Show me a proof; Keep it simple; Reuse; Role model; Get organized; 2) Dont's: Drop a bomb; Automate before analyzing;
Forget about document images; Rely on disaster recovery; Rush to completion; Conclusion. Conquer the SOX compliance challenge.