Mobilising European Payments
From smartphones and NFC to m-payments and m-pos, mobile is shaking up the way we pay across Europe.
Mobile speaks everyone's language
- Europe has: 1) 45 countries; 2) 230 official languages; 3) 857 million people; 4) 741 million live mobile phones; 5) 336 active mobile broadband subscriptions. Which means almost everyone in Europe has a phone and nearly half
can access the Internet on them.
And they're getting smarter
- 1 billion+ - number of smartphones globally.
- 63.2% - Spain has Europe's highest smartphone penetration.
- 61% of UK mobile are smartphones.
Opening up new channels for retailers
- $171.5 b. mobile payments worldwide in 2012.
- $250b, EUR/year - the value of m-payments in Europe by 2014.
Paying the way for "wave to pay"
- 285m. NFC-enabled devices will be shipped in 2013.
- $100b. - global NFC mobile payments by 2016.
- NFC payments will account for 42.3% of all mobile payments made in Europe in 2015.
- There will be 40 mobile contactless payments issuers in Europe in 2013.
- By the end of 2013 around: 1) 80 types of smartphones will be certified by Visa; 2) 100% of all new VeriFone POS devices support contactless and NFC; 3) 1m. NFC enabled VeriFone POS shipped globally in 2012; 4) 26% of all
NFC handsets will house a contactless ticketing application by 2017.
GlobalBay | www.verifone.co.uk | email@example.com | Sources: 1. Global Mobile Statistics 2012 published by MobiThinking; 2. Strategy Analytics: Worldwide Smartphone Population. Top 1 Billion in Q3 2012; 3. "Information
Society in Spain" report for 2012; 4. Kantar Worldpanel ComTech; 5. Gartner Study - 05/29/2012 (Bay Ledger News Zone); 6. ABI Research; 7. ABI Research; 8. Frost & Sullivan Dec 2012; 9. Visa Europe; 10. Visa Europe; 11. ABI