Money in the food industry
The money made from one cow
Weight before slaughter = 1,100 lbs
- 500 lbs are edible
- 1121 lbs of this is used for hamburgers. This equates to roughly 450 quarter pounders
- Avg cow costs $600
- The average price for a McDonald's quarter pounder is $3,45, $3,45 x 450 (one cow) = $1552,5
- McDonald's claimed in 2005 that they sell 75 burgers per second of every minute, of every hour, of every day of the year. (Based on these figures, that's 14,400 cows per day!)
Despite the money made...
- Fast-food workers earn between $6.80 and $7.90 per hour, with very little increase for experience. In real terms it is the lowest median paying job in the US.
And they can't expect tips!
- 0% - fast food
- 5% - take out
- 10% - buffet
- 15% - bartender
- 20% - server
Average tipping rates per service
- However: America as a nation, do tip over $16 billion each year!
- Survey of restaurant clientele
1 in 8 tip less than 10%
1 in 20 tip more than 20%
15% - common consensus
On average we tip 17,5%
Working in Hospitality? A little advice
- According to Cornell University studies: "Servers saw a tip increase from 11,8% to 14,8% when they briefly touched the shoulder of the customer during a meal."
- "Servers who squatted next to the table while talking to customers increased their tips from 14,9% to 17,5% of the bill in one study, and from 12% to 15% in another study."
- However: Based on a few peer-reviewed studies, tippin is deemed to be a poor measure of a customer's feelings about service. The server’s attractiveness, size of the bill and even the server’s ethnic background have stronger correlation!
Not happy with your service?
Leave s single cent. This indicates you did not simply forget to tip, and 99% of waiters/waitresses in the nation understand the gesture. (Similarly, for exceptional service be sure to leave a substantial tip plus one cent.)
Where no to tip!
- Japan. Not recommended, may cause offence
- China. Not traditional
- Singapore. Not recommended, service charge sometimes added. Illegal in airports
- South Korea. Not traditional. Often a restaurant will tip the customer for their loyalty!
- Australia. Very rare practice. Illegal in casinos
- Mary J Blige
Tipped an LA nightclub staff $770 for two tequilas
- Drew Barrymore & Julia Roberts
Are said to always pay 100% of the bill, regardless of what it is for
- Johny Depp
Tipped $3,800 on a $4,180 bill in Chicago in 2009
- Willie Nelson
Is known to tip between 50%-100%
- Bill Murray
Once tipped 120% on a $60 check
- Donald Trump
Reportedly left a $9,300 tip on a $80 bill according to a Santa Monica Waiter. Unfortunately this has proven to be a fake story