THE WHITE HOUSE
PRESIDENT OBAMA IS CALLING ON THE SCIENCE COMMUNITY TO JOIN HIM IN PURSUINGA GRAND CHALLENGE
BRAIN RESEARCH THROUGH ADVANCING innovative neurotechnologies
$100 MILLION Approximate investment to give scientists the tools they need to get a dynamic picture of the brain and better understand how we think, learn, and remember.
DEFENSE ADVANCED RESEARCH PROJECTS AGENCY
$50 million for understanding the dynamic functions of the brain and demonstrating breakthrough applications based on these insights
NIH NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
Approximately $40 million to develop new tools, training opportunities, and other resources
NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION
Approximately $20 million to support research that spans physical, biological, social, and behavioral sciences.
KEY INVESTMENTS TO LAUNCH THIS EFFORT
POSSIBLE LONG-TERM OUTCOMES
- Better understand the mechanisms underlying Parkinson's disease to inform improved treatments, preventions, and even cures
- Reduce language barriers through technological advances in how computers interface with human thought
- Develop solutions to prevent, treat, or even reverse the harmful effects of PTSD and Traumatic Brain Injury in returning war veterans
- Create high-tech jobs for Americans in cutting-edge industries of the future
PRIVATE SECTOR PARTNERS
Key private sector partners have made important commitments to support the BRAIN Initiative.
We encourage companies, universities, and philanthropists to get involved
$60 MILLION ANNUALLY THE ALLEN INSTITUTE FOR BRAIN SCIENCE
$30 MILLION ANNUALLY HOWARD HUGHES MEDICAL INSTITUTE
$4 MILLION ANNUALLY FOR 10 YRS K AV LLFO U N D AT I ON
$28 MILLION SALK INSTITUTE FOR BIOLOGICAL STUDIES
- Understand how brain activity leads, to perception, decision making and ultimately action
- Develop new imaging technologies and, 'understand how information is stored and processed in neural networks
- Provide the knowledge for addressing' debilitating diseases and conditions
- 'Produce a sophisticated understanding! of the brain, from individual genes to neuronal circuits to behavior.
MAINTAIN OUR HIGHEST ETHICAL STANDARDS
President Obama will direct his Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues to explore the ethical, legal, and societal implications raised by this research initiative and other i recent advances in neuroscience.
DENTATE GYRUS - HILUS
The Human Genome Project demonstrates the potential impact that ambitious research programs like the BRAIN initiative can have. From 1988-2003, the Federal Government invested $3.8 billion in the Human Genome Project, which
has since generated an economic output of $796 billion—a return of $141 for every $1 invested.
LEARN MORE AT WHITEHOUSE.GOV | All images from: cbs.fas.harvard.edu/science/connectome-project/brainbow.