How To Thrive In The Booming Mobile Market
The number of smartphone owners using mobile Internet grew 45% from 2010 to 2012, and is showing no signs of stopping. For email marketers, this means mobile optimization needs to happen sooner rather than later.
Mobile isn't just for the young
- Smartphone usage: 40% of under 55's.
- 1 in 4 people over 55.
- 3 of every 4 people use their smartphone for email.
Optimization doesn't have to be complicated
- Keep it simple: Make "short and sweet". Limit the subject line to 60 characters.
- Size it right: Have you ever gotten frustrated because you were unable to click a link? Your subscribers are likely to feel the same way.
- Click space is important: Make it at least 44 x 44 pixels.
- Hint: Apple@ will automatically resize fonts to 13 pixels.
- For Android and other non-iOS devices: 14 pixels for text & 22 pixels for headlines.
- Pay close attention to actual email dimensions.
- Hint: iOS devices will automatically resize.
- Android devices will cut off at about 320 pixels.
Don't forget the landing page
- Switch over from data-heavy Flash to HTML5 and CSS.
- Hint: Attention spans are short, especially for users on mobile devices.
- Test your content: Test on different devices and platforms. Check everything, from content to the formatting and cut-offs for the subject line and pre-header.
Email opens by platform
- iPhone: 1) June 2012 - 13.62%; 2) March 2013 - 17.5%.
- iPad: 1) June 2012 - 5.94%; 2) March 2013 - 8.93%.
- Android: 1) June 2012 - 5.04%; 2) March 2013 - 8.46%.
- BlackBerry: 1) June 2012 - 0.01%; 2) March 2013 - 0.24%.
- In just 9 months, email opens increased by 30%.
Understand the mindset of mobile users
- Know when they check their email.
- Orchestrate blasts during those time frames.
- Email and instant messaging make up only 5.3% of a mobile user's device time.
- You have seconds (or less!) to catch their attention.
Brought to you by: GetResponse | Twitter: 2GetResponse | Source: http://blog.getresponse.com/email-marketing-mobile-optimization.html.