Small Merchants and Mobile
Merchants follow mobile technology. Merchants who want to grow know that mobile technology is key. Although smaller merchants do not yet offer mobile apps and websites optimized for mobile phones, they're interested
in doing more.
Small merchant websites aren't mobile yet
- 86% of merchants have a website.
- 43% have eCommerce websites.
- 28% have websites optimized for mobile.
- While the vast of majority of merchants have websites and nearly half offer the ability to shop online, less than a third have optimized their websites for smart phone viewing.
Small merchants listen to customers via social networks
- 80% pay some or much attention to customer feedback on social media channels.
- 65% encourage social feedback or plan to start.
- Merchants know their customers talk about them online. Most either encourage feedback from their customers through social media channels or plan to gather feedback soon.
Interested, but waiting
- Custom mobile app: 1) Use - 10%; 2) Interested - 40%.
- Offers sent to mobile phones: 1) Use - 10%; 2) Interested - 38%.
- Location-based marketing: 1) Use - 12%; 2) Interested - 34%.
- Email receipts: 1) Use - 29%; 2) Interested - 40%.
- App that allows customers to scan items and perform self checkout: 1) Use - 8%; 2) Interested - 27%.
- QR codes that provide company information: 1) Use - 16%; 2) Interested - 34%.
- Merchant are aware and interested in new technologies, but adoption rates are still gaining momentum.
First Data. First Data Merchant Universal Commerce Tracker, August 2012 (Research conducted for First Data by Applied Research and Consulting LLC) | (c) 2012 First Data Corporation. All Rights Reserved | The F & Design
logo is a registered trademark of Facebook Inc | The Google name and logo are registered trademarks of Google Inc | The Bird design is a registered trademark of Twitter Inc | The Urbanspoon name and logo are registered
trademarks of Urbanspoon.