The History Of Email Marketing
1970's (the beginnings)
- 1971: Ray Tomlinson sends 1st email.
- 1978: Gary Thuerk sends 1st ass mailing.
1990's (the era of spray and pray)
- 1991: The birth of the Internet.
- 1992: 1st smartphone introduced.
- 1996: HotMail launches 1st web based service.
- 1998: "Spam" added to the Oxford English Dictionary; Data Protection Act updated to include email opt-out.
2000's (anti-spam and the rise of the email database)
- 2001: 1st behavioural email sent.
- 2003: Can Spam Law introduced in US; Privacy & Electronic Communications Regulations introduced in Europe.
- 2004: AOL provides ESPs with feedback on spam complaints.
- 2005: Sender Policy Framework introduced.
- 2008: Windows Live Sender Reputation Data introduced.
- 2009: 1st iPhone released.
2010-2013 (the age of people power: segmentation and targeted email)
- 2010: Introduction of Hotmail Sweep.
- 2012: DMA reports 85% of email marketers segment their lists; Informz reports 40% of marketing email is opened on a mobile.
- 2013: eMarketer reports email marketers who take advantage of automation have seen conversion rates as high as 50%; Industry research by Asend2 reveals 53% of marketing professionals agree email is the most
effective marketing tactic.
For more information on RedEye visit www.redeye.com