The Evolution Of Fashion Week
- 1958: Milan.
- 1961: London.
- 1963: Milan & Copenhagen.
- 1973: Paris Fashion Week moves to Carousel de Lowre.
- 1985: Japan.
- 1993: New York Fashion Week more to Bryant Park.
- 2007: Over 40 Fashion Weeks established across the globe.
- 2010: New York Fashion Week moves to Lincoln Center.
New York City holds top 3 for best fashion schools in the US
- Parsons The New School for Design. Famous students (to name a few): 1) Donna Karan; 2) Marc Jacobs; 3) Tom Ford; 4) Narciso Rodriguez; 5) Alexander Wang; 6) Anna Sui; 7) Jason Wu; 8) Jenna Lyons; 9) Chris Benz;
10) Jack McCullough; 11) Lazaro Hernandez.
- Pratt. Famous students (to name a few): 1) Jeremy Scott; 2) Betsey Johnson; 3) Andy and Debb; 4) Ben de Lisi; 5) Norman Norell.
- Fashion Institute of Technology. Famous students (to name a few): 1) Reem Acra; 2) Francisco Costa; 3) Nina Garcia; 4) Carolina Herrera; 5) Calvin Klein; 6) Micheal Kows; 7) Nanette Lepore; 8) Ralph Rucci.
Top 3 most talked about designers (2011)
- #1 Marc Jacobs - 4524 tweets.
- #2 Victoria Beckham - 2142 tweets.
- #3 Oscar De La renta - 1909 tweets.
Top 3 most talked about celebrities (2011)
- #1 Nicki Minaj - 3335 tweets.
- #2 Beyonce - 2073 tweets.
- #3 Ana Wintour - 1584 tweets.
Map of Manhattan, New York (Lincoln Center)
- Held twice a year at Lincoln Center, Milk Studios and other venues throughout the City.
- Over 500 fashion events throughout the City per year.
- 232.000 attendees each year.
- The city serves as headquarters to over 900 fashion companies.
- 70 shows are shown at Lincoln Center per year (approx.).
- Fashion Week draws press from over 30 countries per year.
- New York Fashion Industry employs 172.000 (approx.) people which 5.2% of the City workforce. It generates nearly 110 billion in wages and nearly $2 billion in tax revenue annually.
Awkward Fashion Week moments
- A model steals a photog's camera: Model Bette Franke wanted to have some fun backstage so she took a photographer's camera and shot him (talk about turning the tables). The photographer played along and posed for her, even
giving her a compliment, saying she was "actually a really good photographer".
- Pat McGrath loads up on fiber: Makeup artist, Pat McGrath owns fashion week so it's surprise the makeup artist needs some fuel! We saw her stocking up on Fiber One bars backstage on the catering tables, saying she needed them
"for Milan Fashion Week".
- Anna Sui plays matchmaker backstage: Sure, the designer was there to showcase her fall collection, but why not hook her nephew up while she was as it? We heard her loudly introduce her nephew to model Liu Wen as she was
getting her makeup done. (We don't hear wedding bells in the near future).
Average salaries on the scene
- Security - $32k.
- Hair stylist - $42k.
- Photographer - $59k.
- Makeup artist - $62k.
- PR - $64k.
- Editor - $67k.
- Fashion stylist - $70k.
- Model - $78k.
- Buyer - $85k.
How much does Fashion Week cost?
- $865 million Citywide (direct spending per year).
- #21 million generated in 2011.
- $30.000-$100.000 (average cost of a space at Lincoln Center).
- $500.000 (maximum amount spent on a space).
- $500 (average cost of gift bags & favors).
- $5.000-$20.000 (average cost of stylist).
Sources: Nydailynews.com; Nye.cgov; Forbes.com; Infographiclist.com; Nycedc.com; Fashionnista.com; Allure.com; Payscale.com.