People are spending more time on their mobile phones than ever before. This new marketing world consists of terms like smartphones, SEO, mobile sites, geolocation, and social marketing. As marketers we have to
understand these new types of consumers and how best to reach them. Technologies like geolocation and mobile lagging can help us better understand the mobile consumer and deliver more relevant messages. Leam the
state of mobile marketing in the following infographic, brought to you by Microsoft Tag.
What is the size of the mobile market?
- Of the world's 4 billion mobile phones in use, 1.08 billion are smartphones (27%) and a whopping 3.05 billion are SMS enabled (75%), 950 million are not SMS enabled (25%).
How fast is mobile Internet growing?
- By 2014, mobile Internet should take over desktop Internet usage.
- Global mobile vs. desktop Internet user projection, 2007-2015E (Internet users in millions): 1) Mobile Internet users (2007 ~ 40m, 2009 ~ 750m, 2011E ~ 1100m, 2013E ~ 1550m, 2015E ~ 1950m); 2) Desktop
Internet users (2007 ~ 1100m, 2009 ~ 1300m, 2011E ~ 1600m, 2013E ~ 1500m, 2015E ~ 2000m).
How has mobile usability changed?
- Because of the increasing use of mobiles, their versatility is always growing...
- One half of all local searches are performed on mobile devices.
- Mobile tags provide more product information like comparison shopping offers than tradition barcodes.
- 86% of mobile Internet users are using their devices while watching TV.
How are coupons used on mobile devices?
- Mobile tags can serve up coupons than can be redeemed instantaneously in store.
- 29% of mobile users are open to scanning a mobile tag to get coupons.
How much do people use their mobile phones?
- On average, Americans spend 2.7 hours per day day socializing on their mobile device. That's over twice the amount of time they spend eating, and over 1/3 of the time they spend sleeping each day.
- And 91% of mobile Internet access is to socialize, compared to 79% on desktops.
What do people use their mobile phones for?
- Games - 61%.
- Weather - 55%.
- Maps/search - 50%.
- Social networking - 49%.
- Music - 42%.
- News - 36%.
- Entertainment - 33%.
- Dining - 25%.
- Video - 21%.
What is the state of social & mobile marketing?
- Over 1/3 of Facebook's 600 million+ user base uses Facebook Mobile.
- Twitter has 165 million users, 50% of them use Twitter Mobile.
- YouTube views occur on mobile devices per day (200 million+).
- 30% of smartphone owners accessed social networks via mobile browser.
- Women aged 35 to 54 are the most active group in mobile socialization.
Scan this tag to watch a video about Microsoft Tag | Get the free mobile app for your phone - http://gettag.mobi | Sources: http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/03/090903-is-mobile,png; http://comscore.
http://gigaom.com/2010/04/12/mary-,eeker-mobile-internet-will-soon-overtake-fixed-internet; http://www.orangesoda.com/blog/wp-content.thumbnails/2410.png; http://www.psfk.com/2011/01/fv-goes-in-hand-with-the-
mobile-internet-infographic.html; https://s3.amazonows.com/promotionalcodes.ae/MobileCoupons.jpg; http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-study-shows-intent-behind-mobile-internet-use-84016487.html;
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/14/report-looks-at-trends-with-mobile-apps; http://searchengineland.com/the-united-state-of-social-monile-marketing-63511; http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/01/25/facebook-cto-