A Brief History of Content Marketing
For years brands have been telling stories to attract & retain customers. Here are a few great examples.
- 4200 B.C.. One of the first signs of custom publishing found in cave paintings. Loosely translated to "6 ways a spear can save you from wild boar".
- 1895. John Deere launches customer magazine. The Furrow launches in 1895 and now has a 1.5 million circulation in 40 countries and 122 different languages.
- 1900. Michelin develops The Michelin Guides. 400-page guide, now with its iconic red cover, helps drivers maintain their cars and find decent lodging.
- 1904. Jell-O Recipe Books Pays Off. Jell-O distributes free copies of a recipe book that contributes to sales of over $1 million by 1905.
- 1913. Burns & McDonnell Engineering Launch Benchmark. Kansas City engineering and consulting firm, Burns & McDonnell, launches benchmark magazine (still produced today).
- 1922. Sears launches World's Largest Store radio program. The station helped keep farmers informed during the deflation crisis with content supplied by Sears' Roebuck Agricultural foundation.
- 1930s. P&G begins foray into radio soap operas with brands such as Duz & Oxydol - hence the "soap opera".
- 1982. Hasbro partners with marvel to create G.I. Joe comic Book - Leads to Revolution in Toy Marketing. The comic book series launches in 1982, spurring the G.I. Je pop culture phenomenon. It was the first comic book ever
advertised on TV and later led to a cartoon series.
- 1985. UK Sees Boom in Customer Magazine Market.
- 1987. LEGO launches Brick Kicks magazine (Now LEGO Club magazine).
- 1996. Placeware, a spin-off of Xerox's PARC Laboratory starts offering web conferencing services.
- 1998. Custom Publishing Council's is born.
- 2001. Spend on Custom Content Nears $20 billion. Penton Custom Media, in Cleveland, Ohio, begins use of term "Content marketing".
- 2004. Sherwin Williams launches STIR magazine for commercial interior designers and architects.
- 2005. Microsoft launches First MAjor Corporate Blog, Channel 9. LiveVault's John Cleese Video Goes Viral. Video targeting IT managers has over 250.000 downloads in a few months (this is before YouTube).
- 2006. Nike+ launches. Global Brands Nike & Apple partner to create a product to map runs and track progress.
- 2007. 7 of the top 10 UK Newsstand Publications Are Corporate. Blendtec uploads first video on YouTube through series Will It Blend? Over 6 million views and 385 thousand subscribers. Leads to 700% growth in revenue.
- 2008. P&G launches BeingGirl.com. P&G's content site for teen girls found to be four times more effective than traditional advertising by Forrester. Get Content Get Customers, the Handbook for Content Marketing is released.
American Express launches OPEN forum. Now key resource for small business, pageviews grow 23x in just 2 years.
- 2010. CMI is born. Content Marketing Institute. 25% of marketing budgets spent on content marketing, 88% of all brands use content marketing. Content marketing spend in the UK nears $1 billion.
- 2011. Content Marketing Flood in. Chief Content Officer magazine. CMI launches Chief Content Officer magazine in print and digital. Coca-Cola Releases Content 2020. The Coca-Cola content 2020 marketing plan focuses on
branded storytelling at the center of all Coca-Cola marketing. Content marketing world. September 2011 - Content Marketing World is born.
- What stories should you be telling?
Content Marketing World 2012.
September 4-5-6, 2012 | Columbus Convention Center | Columbus, OH | www.contentmarketingworld.com.
Sources: 1 - Aprix Solutions - http://blog.aprixsolutions.com/2011/06/20/a-bried-history-of-content-marketing; 2 - http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/eaa-CK0029; 3
- http://www.pg.com/en_US/news_views/blog_posts/2010/sep/soap_opera_era_ends.shtml; 4 - http://www.agforum.com/custom_publishers.html; 5 - http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/785643/Top-100-Magazines/?
Additional sources: http://www.rexblog.com/2011/05/19/23189; http://www.pg.com/en_US/news_views/blog_posts/2010/sep/soap_opera_era_ends.shtml; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Joe:_A_Real_American_
Hero_(Marvel_Comics); http://www.magforum.com/custom_publishers.html; http://info.cem.ch; http://en.wikipedia/org/wiki/Website; http://www.americanbusinessmedia.com/images/abm.pdfs/committees/oppb2pubs2003.PDF;
http://channel9.msdn.com; http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/785643/Top-100-Magazines/?DCMP=ILC-SEARCH; http://eillitblend.com; http://blog.junta42.com/2008/02/pg-does-it-
again; http://thecontentlab.iscrossing.com/post/6586774751/how-american-express-open-forum-rocks-content-marketing; http://www.contentmarketinginstitute.com/2010/09/b2b-content-marketing; http://apa.co.uk/about-us;