The Science Of Sharing: What Influences The Social Consumer (Part 2)
To better understand social consumers, we asked 1.500 participants about the products and services they had most recently researched online and how they went about it.
We found that depending on the product or service, a channel may have more or less influence on a social consumer’s decision to purchase. Influence was measured as the degree to which each channel has impacted the consumers
view of the product or service as part of the buying process.
What channels influence the social consumer?
- Top 5 influential online channels: 1) Search results; 2) Brand websites; 3) News articles; 4) Product review sites; 5) Online ads.
- Researched products: 1) Automobiles; 2) Baby products; 3) Beauty; 4) Cookware; 5) Electronics; 6) Fashion; 7) Kitchen appliances; 8) Music; 9) Personal finance; 10) Restaurants; 11) Tools/DIY products; 12) Travel.
- Channel influence. Online channels and the top products they influence: 1) Search results: 1st - Travel; 2nd - Automobiles; 3rd - Electronics; 4th - Kitchen appliances; 5th - Cookware; 2) Brand websites: 1st - Automobiles; 2nd
- Electronics; 3rd - Fashion; 4th - Beauty; 5th - Cookware; 3) News articles: 1st - Beauty; 2nd - Personal finance; 3rd - Electronics; 4th - Music; 5th - Restaurants; 4) Product reviews: 1st - Electronics; 2nd - Beauty; 3rd - Baby
products; 4th - Kitchen appliances; 5th - Cookware; 5) Online advertisements: 1st - Fashion; 2nd - Cookware; 3rd - Baby products; 4th - Beauty; 5th - Automobiles; 6) Forum comments: 1st - Baby products; 2nd - Beauty; 3rd
- Electronics; 4th - Cookware; 5th - Music; 6) Facebook: 1st - Baby products; 2nd - Music; 3rd - Beauty; 4th - Fashion; 5th - Cookware; 7) Blog posts: 1st - Beauty; 2nd - Baby products; 3rd - Cookware; 4th - Electronics; 5th -
Music; 8) YouTube: 1st - Music; 2nd - Electronics; 3rd - Beauty; 4th - Baby products; 5th - Cookware; 9) FourSquare: 1st - Cookware; 2nd - Electronics; 3rd - Baby products; 4th - Beauty; 5th - Music; 10) Twitter: 1st - Electronics;
2nd - Music; 3rd - Beauty; 4th - Fashion; 5th - Cookware.
Facts about the social consumer
- 93% of people who research travel deals use search.
- 49% of people use Facebook when searching for restaurants.
- 63% of baby product consumers use Facebook to research a brand or product.
- 91% of consumers shopping for electronics visit the brand website to research the product.
- 55% of consumers researching electronics are significantly influenced by comments in forums.
- 66% of consumers who research beauty products click on online ad.
- 40% of dining consumers use FourSquare to check in to a restaurant.
- 44% of automotive consumers research using forums.
M Booth - A Communications Company | Study conducted by: Beyond - Rethinking Digital.