The State Of Welcome Emails: How B2B Marketers Are Using Welcome Emails To Generate Real Business Results
ExactTarget research involving more than 160 B2C brands, including retailers, restaurants, manufacturers, travel and hospitality, and nonprofits, found that most B2C marketers send welcome emails to their
new subscribers. Interesting takeaways and opportunities from this data are highlighted below.
Welcome email usage
- Nearly 81% of B2C marketers send welcome emails to their new subscribers.
- Nearly 87% of retail companies send welcome emails to new subscribers.
- By comparison, only 70% of non-retail companies send welcome emails.
Welcome email series
- ExactTarget research involving more than 160 B2C brands, including retailers, restaurants, manufacturers, travel and hospitality, and nonprofits found that most B2C marketers send welcome emails to their new.
- A quarter (25%) of B2C marketers send a welcome email series instead of a single email.
- Most welcome email series included 3 emails, but a few included as many as 5.
Welcome email content
- Welcome emails offered an explanation of website features and tools.
- Most welcome emails provided information regarding the store's services.
- Promotional welcome offer, which tended to be a percentage-off or free shipping offer.
- Later emails often included a reminder of soon-to-expire welcome offers.
- Some emails included a prompt to follow the brand on social media channels.
- Welcome emails also often included a prompt to download a mobile app.
- Better timing: Some marketers don't send their welcome emails immediately after sign-up, when subscribers are most likely to open and act on them. Welcome emails from Applebee's, West Elm and several other brands
took 3 or more days to arrive. Delaying the delivery of your welcome email drastically reduces its effectiveness.
- Proper rendering: A number of marketers also sent welcome emails that rendered poorly, including the ones from Tide and Drs. Foster & Smith. Because welcome emails are key to delivering a good first impression,
make sure yours renders well - with and without images enabled. Always test your emails on different platforms before sending.
ExactTarget | www.ExactTarget.com.