The UK Food Industry
Food industry size
- There are more than 6.00 food & drink manufacturing businesses in the UK alone.
- £12.6 billion exported (77% to the EU).
- Food industry turnover £80 billion.
- Largest manufacturing sector in the UK (16% of all manufacturing).
Food industry employment
We are proud of the number of successful senior management teams we have put together for clients - highly capable people who add to bottom line performance and create positive environments and business cultures. In essence, investor value increases when Focus Management Consultants deliver outstanding people. Based across the UK and with international partners in six EU countries.
- Employment needed
Focus Management Consultants Ltd (FMCL) commands a premier position in the Food and Drink recruitment industry. Working in long term partnership with many leading manufacturers, retailers and foodservice organisations, it has developed a strong credibility in its sector for high performance standards and results delivery. Established in 1990 in the recruitment sector, it is comprised of six specialist divisions each offering a bespoke, confidential and targeted response to client needs, and offers candidates a route through to the leading employers in their chosen industry.
- UK food & drink industry employees earn 5% more than the national average.
- Currently over 16.000 job vacancies in the UK in food.
- By 2017 the industry will need 137.000 new recruits.
- The food industry employs 500.000 people in the UK (13% of the UK manufacturing workforce work in food & drink manufacturing).
Innovation in the food industry
- Industry invests more than £1.1 bn a year on R&D.
- Industry launches over 8.000 new products per year.
- Of the 150 biggest grocery brands 91 were British born, but only 44 are now British owned.
- 2012 food retailers by market share
Tesco - 29.9%.
Asda - 17.5%.
Sainsburys - 16.7%.
Morrisons - 12.3%.
Waitrose - 4.3%.
Iceland - 2.%.
Aldi - 3.5%.
Lidl - 2.5%.
Others - 11.2%.
Supermarket own-label vs. name brand
- 49% buy lowest price or best value brand.
- 40% prefer name brand but will buy own-label if better value.
- 11% buy name brand products, regardless of price.
- Interested in food industry jobs?
With food and drink jobs in all functions and locations, there's bound to be a job perfect for you!
Search and apply today at www.focusmanagement.co.uk
- Looking for new talent to join your business?
With a database of over 290.000 food and drink candidates, UK and international offices, five European food recruitment partners and an industry leading team, Focus Management Consultants is ideally placed to find the perfect people for your business! For more information please visit www.fmcl.co.uk
- Where to find us
FMCL UK Locations
European Partner Locations
FMCL United Arab Emirates Location
Focus Management consultants. Select management Chefs
Interim Graduates International
We're looking for you
Focus Management Consultants
Leaders in food and drink recruitment
+44 (0) 1625 5607778