- YouTube.com, founded by Steve Chen, Chad Hurley, and Jawed Karim, was created in order for the friends to share video clips of a dinner party, which were too large to email. They were all working for PayPal at the time.
- The YouTube domain birthday is Valentine's Day, 2005.
- Jawed Karim posted the very first YouTube video on April 23rd, 2005. Entitled "Me at Zoo", it features Karim and some elephants and is 18 seconds long. It has been viewed 3.24 million times.
- Every week, YouTubers produce enough material for 60.000 full-length films.
- If nobody ever posted another video, you would need about 1.700 years to watch everything currently on the site.
- 70% of YouTube users are American.
- 50% of users are 20 years old or younger.
- Country who posts the most videos: United States.
- Country who posts the 2nd most: United Kingdom.
- Country who watches the most videos: United States.
- Country who watches the second most: Japan.
- 20% of YouTube videos are categorized as "Music".
- The average visitor spends 15 minutes every day on YouTube.
- Top ten YouTube channels: 1) NigaHiga; 2) Fred; 3) ShaneDawsonTV; 4) Smosh; 5) RayWilliamJohnson; 6) UniversalMusicGroup; 7) Sxephil; 8) Machinima; 9) ShaneDawsonTV2; 10) Davedays.
- Five famous people with official YouTube channels: 1) Michael Jackson; 2) Arnold Schwarzenegger; 3) Oprah Winfrey; 4) Barack Obama; 5) Pope Benedict XVI.
- According to Alexa, YouTube is the third most frequently visited website.
- YouTube's net revenue: 1) 2008 - $244m.; 2) 2009 - $474m.; 3) 2010 - $614m.; 4) 2011 - $737m.
- January 2008: 10 hrs. of video uploaded every minute.
- May 2008: 13 hrs. every min.
- October 2008: 15 hrs. every min.
- May 2009: 20 hrs. every min.
- March 2010: 24 hrs. every min.
- YouTube is banned in continental China, Iran, Libya, Tunisia, Turkey, and Turkmenistan. In the past, it was banned by Brazil, Indonesia, morocco, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Thailand, and the United Arab Emirates.
- Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance", the most popular video on YouTube, has been viewed 250 million times.
- "Charlie bit my finger", in which Charlie bites his brother's finger, received 212 million views, making it the most watched non-commercial video.
- In 2006, Google purchased YouTube for $1.65 billion: 1) That's a lot of money, considering YouTube consistently loses money; 2) In 2009, YouTube's losses amounted to $174.2 million; 3) 2010 is projected to be YouTube's
first profitable year; 4) YouTube is immensely popular, but difficult to monetize.
- On April 1, 2008, YouTube pranked the world, by linking all of the videos on the main page to Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up", a famous prank known as "Rickrolling".
OnlineSchools - www.OnlineSchools.org | Sources: http://www.pakblogger.com/10-interesting-facts-about-youtube; http://www.website-monitoring.com/blog/2010/05/17/youtube-facts-and-figures-history-statistics;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_YouTube; http://www.gtricks.com/youtube-tricks/top-5-youtube-famous-people; http://www.youtube.com; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube; http://gorumors.com/crunchies/youtube-
usage-stats-facts; http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2010/03/will-youtube-see-1b-next-year-and-more-captions.html; http://kirklindstrom.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-much-did-google-pay-for-youtube.html;