Why Email Still Matters
- The death of email has been grossly exaggerated! Despite some commentators claiming social media has made email obsolete, it's still a valuable tool for marketers. According to Forrester Research, 89% of marketers
said email was their primary channel for lead generation.
- Despite smart spam filters, crammed inboxes and time-poor prospects, statistics from B2B Marketing's Email Marketing Benchmark Report - which surveyed 250 client-side marketers in February 2012 in association
with Circle Research - prove that email is still a popular marketing tool.
Emails aims and objectives
- Lead generation/nurturing - 78%.
- Enhancing/building brand - 68%.
- Driving sales - 59%.
- Strengthening thought leadership - 52%.
- 70% of B2B marketers still see email as either "critical" or "very important".
- Only 4% see it as "not very important".
- Average deliverability rate - 84%.
- Average open rate - 24%.
- Average click through rate - 13%.
- Average amount of time typical marketing departments spend on email marketing - 24%.
- 78% refresh their database at least two or three times a year.
Get results with marketing automation
- You may feel your heaving inbox is proof that email is far from dead: But did you know just how many marketers are using marketing automation systems for email lead nurturing campaigns? More and more professionals
are going beyond simple email systems and choosing marketing automation systems that have these added benefits:
- You can track better analytics, not just email campaign analytics, giving you a more holistic view of your customer experience. Email marketing systems lose track of the customer after they've clicked through, marketing
automatic systems can tell you how many readers have filled in the form on your landing landing page after being led there by an email.
- You can perform more sophisticated customer targeting, like presenting custom web pages to certain to certain websites visitors.
- You can set up emails in a way that allows you to reuse a lot of your work so you don't have to do the same tasks every time. As they say, "Automate, don't duplicate": if every time you host an event you send a "thank
you for coming" email, get the software to do the hard work and send it for you.
- You can integrate it into your CRM system. This allows you to track each prospect's engagement, not just with email, but with your website and social media profiles.
- You can give your salespeople intelligence on which prospects are opening emails and visiting and visiting your website - meaning they know when they pick up the phone that they're calling someone who is interested in
- Marketing automation automation systems don't just track, they act - you can set automatically triggered emails if a prospect clicks on a certain webpage, for example.
- Customers now have more power, thanks to the vast amount of information at their fingertips on the Internet. According to SiriusDecisions, the average sales cycle has increased by 22% over the past five years because
decision makers are now more involved in the buying process.
- Sophisticated lead nurturing approaches seem to be the only answer. The statistics are incredible - nothing short of marketing revolution is going on.
- Businesses that use marketing automation to nurture prospects experience a 451% increase in qualified leads, according to the Annuitas Group.
- According to Gartner, marketing departments can, on average: 1) Make a 15% saving on creative production with marketing automation; 2) Make a 5% reduction in marketing waste through automatic fulfillment; 3)
Save 80% of their direct mail budget using event-triggered marketing.
- The adoption of marketing automation technology is expected to increase by 50% by 2015, according to SiriusDecisions.
- According to IfByPhone, among marketing automation users: 1) 95% noticed an increased ability to measure sales; 2) 63% noticed an increased ability to measure effectiveness and ROI; 3) 42% improved their process
for handing leads off to sales personnel.
- According to Forrester Research: 1) 25% of marketers who adopt lead management processes report that sales teams contact prospect within one day; 2) Only 10% of marketers report the same follow-up time
without management processes; 3) 81% of best-in-class companies say their number one reason for wanting automated sales platforms is to close sales faster; 4) Companies with lead generation and management
practices have a 9.3% higher sales quote achievement rate, according to CSO Insights.
- According to Forrester Research: 1) Marketing automation has seen the fastest growth of any CRM-related segment in the last five years; 2) By 2020, customers will manage 85% of their relationship with an
enterprise without talking to a human, according to Gartner Research.
Thank you for reading! Tweet your opinions at #modernmarketer.