Wireless Industry Trends 2013
- #1 Price pressures ensure the survival of the feature phone. Although the Feature phone category will continue to play second fiddle to the smartphone in 2013, price pressures will secure its survival...for now.
- #2 NFC deployments to focus on information sharing. NFC deployments aren't just about mobile payments.
- #3 Mobile operators finally pose a real challenge to fixed line players. As the wireless industry's development of 4G continues, the service boundaries between fixed line and mobile will become increasingly blurred for
- #4 Android goes viral. We've already seen Android transfer onto digital cameras and tablet devices. In 2013, WDS expects the OS to go viral and occupy a whole range of "smart" electronics.
- #5 The beginning of the end for patent wars. By the end of 2013 WDS expects the patent war to subside.
- #6 Lingering patent litigation benefits Windows Phone OS. Microsoft becomes a patent safe-house for OEMs deploying Windows Phone.
- #7 HTML5 web apps evolve. We expect the World Wide Web to become increasingly mobile friendly with the growing popularity of HTML5 web apps.
- #8 The Kindle Phone enters the market. with a plethora of existing media content, 2013 could be the year that Amazon enters the smartphone category with a sister offering to its popular Kindle tablet.
- #9 BlackBerry bounces back. In 2013 WDS expects RIM to increase device shipments.
- #10 Security threats out enterprise vendors on the mobile map. Security threats still won't be a mass-market threat, but the issue will be prevalent enough for enterprise security vendors to stake their claim in the post-PC
- Industry briefing. From Amazon's Kindle phone to BlackBerry's come back, one tap convenience to HTML5 web apps, here are ten trends set to shape the wireless industry in 2013. To download this and other industry
whitepapers, or to register for updates, news and knowledge articles, please visit bit.ly/wds-enlightened.
WDS, a Xerox Company is the trading name of Wireless Data Services Ltd registered in England and Wales with company number 01714719. Registered address - Wireless Data Services Limited, 160 Queen Victoria
Street, London EC4V 4AN. VAT number GB 911330278. WDS cannot accept (and hereby disclaims) any responsibility for loss and damage caused by errors or omissions. All rights reserved | (c) WDS, a Xerox