We're Here For Beer! We All Love A Nice, Cold Brew
But while you savor those sweet sips, study up on these fun facts and healthy tips for your next night out on the town.
Americans sure do like their beer!
- US brewers use an average of 6 billion pounds of beer-making grain per year.
- California leads the US with the most number of brewers, at 219.
- Average of beer: 1) In a US bar - $3.87; 2) In NYC - $7.00.
- On Superbowl Sunday alone Americans drinks an average of 325.5 million gallons of beer (that's 493 Olympic-sized swimming pools!).
- If you stacked all the beer cans consumed by Americans in one year, you could reach the Moon 20 times!
- That's a heck of a lot of beer. See how your go-to choice stacks up among the rest (for a 12 ounce serving): 1) Beck's Light - 64 calories, 3.7G carbs; 2) Amstel Light - 95 calories, 6G carbs; 3) Rolling Rock - 120 calories, 7G carbs;
4) Guinness - 125 calories, 10G carbs; 5) Budweiser - 145 calories, 11G carbs; 6) Sierra Nevada IPA - 231 calories, 20G carbs.
- Drinking beer instead of a mixed cocktail can save you over 150 calories each drink!
- Make the swap everyday over the next 3 months and you'll save 10.000 calories. That's equivalent of 3 pounds of body weight!
- In the Middle Ages, drinking beer was safer than drinking water (clean water was hard to come by).
- The oldest known recipe in the world is for brewing beer.
- Beer, on its own, has almost all of the minerals needed for survival (Whoa!).
- According to a 2009 study in the New England journal of medicine, moderate beer drinkers had better cognitive function than non-drinkers.
- Beer contains antioxidants, in particular - "polyphenols", substances that protect against the damaging effects of oxygen and nitrogen in the human body - which help prevent high cholesterol, heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer's
- The amount of antioxidants depends on the beer. Darker beers, microbrews, and craft beers have the most disease-fighting antioxidants and iron.
- Scientists have discovered a floating ethyl alcohol space cloud - containing enough to produce 400 trillion pints of beer (Guess the man on the Moon is having a fun time up there!).
- Cheers in your health!
About.com - About.com Health | Presented by Calorie count - There's strength in numbers | Sources: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=United+States&City=New+York%2C+NY; http://scienceblog.com/
community/older/2000/A/2000000241.html; http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/1/2155.full; http://www.brobible.com/life/article/10-mind-blowing-beer-facts; http://www.statisticbrain.com/beer-industry-statistics; http://inventors.about.
com/od/bsstartinventions/a/beer.htm; http://www.thebeerdrifter.com/tag/how-many-breweries-in-the-world; http://www.huddingtonpost.com/2013/04/05/beer-facts-trivia_n_3016246.html.