Everything You Didn't Want to Know About Sausages
Ingredients. What are sausage made of?
- Estimated percent of sausage is generally pork meat - 32-42%.
- Fat & one full gram of sal - 25%.
- The rest. Processed leftovers from all parts of a pig including (blood, guts, organs, head meat - ears, snout, cheek, etc.).
Types of casings
- Fibrous sausage casings
The are cellulose impregnated paper and can be used or summer sausage, salami and boneless ham, but is not digestible.
- Collagen sausage casings
They are arranged fibers of edible protein and are made from cattle hide which is mechanically removed from the epidemical and flesh layers.
- Natural sausage casings
Made of later of loose connective tissue beneath the mucous membrane, which is part of the intestines, creates a casing that allows from a juicer fresh appearance.
Close ups of your favorite links
- Oscar Meyer Ground Weiners.
- Jimmy Dean Original Sausage.
- Oscar Mayer Salami.
The popular blood sausage
Also known as "Blood Pudding" and not common in the United States, blood sausages are a delicacy and are popular in many parts of the world including: Spain, France, Argentina, U.K.
2 feet of sausage casings.
3/4 cup finely chopped onions.
1/4 cup bread crumbs.
2 beaten eggs.
1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
1/8 teaspoon fresh thyme.
1 teaspoon salt.
2 cups fresh pork blood.
Processed meat and health risks
- What can a daily serving of an average of 50 grams (1.8 oz.) of a processed meat mean for your health?
- 42% increase of heart disease. By eating processed meat such as bacon, sausage or processed deli meats.
- 19% percent higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes when process meat is eaten by an individual.
- 4x more sodium, 50% more nitrate. What process meat contains compared to unprocessed meat.
In contrast to processed meats, research from harvard School of Public Health shows that there is not a higher risk of heart disease or diabetes among individuals who eats unprocessed red meats, such as beef, pork or lamb.
Footnote: Findings by the Harvard School Of Public Health.
Top dinner sausage consuming cities in America by volume
- #1 Los Angeles.
- #2 New York.
- #3 San Antonio/Corpus Christi.
- #4 Houston.
- #5 Baltimore / Washington D.C.
- #6 Chicago.
- #7 Dallas / Fort Worth.
- #8 San Francisco / Oakland.
- #9 Philadelphia.
Footnote: Based on total retail sales, excluding Wal-Mart, for the 2009 calendar year.