Everything You Need To Know About Fast Food
- 1921. White Castle was formed as the first fast food chain.
- 1948. McDonald's enters the fast food industry.
- 1951. Fast food appeared in the Merriam-Webster dictionary. Also the same year Jack in the Box introduced the drive-through.
- From the most recent statistics: McDonald's revenue us around $23 billion from 31.000 locations. Yum! Brands, which owns Taco Bell, KFC & Pizza Hut, pulled in $11.3 billion. Wendy's & Arby's ameks about $3.6 billion at 6.700
stores. Burger King makes about $2.5 billion at 11.200 stores.
- How do they make so much money? Soft drinks & french fries. A pop at a fast food restaurant is marked up about 1200%. The fry markup is around 500%.
- McDonald's operates in 126 countries and employs about 400.000 people. With 13.000 locations in America, it is the country's largest buyer of beef, pork and potatoes.
- "Super heavy users", those customers who visit the store at least ten times a month, make up 75% of McDonald's sales. 60% of all the store's transactions are via the drive through.
- Over the years, around the world, McDonald's has served some unusual menu items like: 1) The Hula Burger; 2) The McLobster; 3) The Norwegian McLaks; 4) The Hong Kong Rice Burger; 5) The McAfrica. Not only a ridiculous
name, it was released during a massive famine in Africa.
- Percentage of population that said they eat fast food at least once a week: 1) Hong Kong - 61%; 2) Malaysia - 59%; 3) Philippines - 54%; 4) Singapore - 50%; 5) Thailand - 44%; 6) China - 41%; 7) India - 37%; 8) USA - 35%;
9) UK - 14%; 10) Sweden - 3%.
- Some of the unhealthiest items available: 1) Carl's Jr. Double Six Dollar Burger has 1.520 calories; 2) Nathan's Fish n Chips has 1.537 calories; 3) White Castle Chocolate Shake has 1.680 calories. More than a day's worth of energy
in one meal for many countries.
- Average daily calorie intake by country: 1) Congo - 1.500; 2) Ethiopia - 1.800; 3) Angola - 1.880; 4) Rwanda - 1.940; 5) America - 3.760.
- One fast food hamburger may contain meat from hundreds of different cows.
- McDonald's fries are flavored with unspecified "animal products".
- Strawberry flavoring used in milkshakes contains over 50 different chemicals including: Diacetyl. Adds "buttery taste" and produced by fermentation isobutyl anthranilate. Used in perfumes.
- More notable chemical enhancers: 1) Sodium Phosphate. Found in fast food coffee & detergents; 2) Titanium dioxide. Found in fat free ranch dressing & sunscreen; 3) Dimethylpolysiloxane. Found in McNuggets & in silicone milk;
4) Azodicarbonamide. Found in certain Subway breads which may cause asthma.
- how to make McGriddle: 1) Cake. Consists of wheat, flour, vegetable shortening & three types of sugar; 2) Cheese. Processed with preservatives & flavor enhancers; 3) Egg. Includes sodium acid pyrophosphate, a leather stain
remover; 4) Bacon. Over 18 "ingredients".
- Number of critical violations per 100 health inspections: 1) Jack in the Box - 45; 2) Taco Bell - 62; 3) Wendy's - 84. failure to properly cook the food before serving; 4) Subway - 48; 5) Dairy Queen - 98. Frequently caught handling
meat then ice cream without washing hands; 6) KFC - 102. Mold on the soda nozzles & served expired chicken pot pies; 7) Burger King - 111; 8) Arby's - 115. Leaving roast beef at room temperature too long; 9) Hardee's - 118;
10) McDonald's - 126. Largest offender of hand washing violations. That's averaging more than 1 per visit!