How Millennials Are Changing Everything: Beer
Young beer drinkers are in revolt, abandoning traditional brands in favor of discovering new beers, unique flavors and seasonal varieties. Traditional advertising is falling flat and peer recommendations ae king. Beer brands need to rethink
their marketing strategy ASAP or go the qay of many once iconic beer brands.
- $1 billion spent yearly on beer ads. Yet less that 10% of millennials learn about beer from ads. Beer brands should be rethinking their marketing spend.
- Millennials like beer, just now what their grandparents drink: 1) Drank a beer last week - 87%; 2) Monthly - 94%; 3) Weekly - 54%.
- What are they drinking?: 1) Craft beers - 47%; 2) Light beer is 2nd.
- Self expression has replaced affiliation. Why? More flavors, local & seasonal options.
- Stores, bars & restaurants pay attention. 70% prefer places with a wide beer selection.
- Love recommendations from friends, bartenders and waitstaff: 1)More likely to be influenced by word of mouth vs. traditional beer marketing; 2) Tell friends about beer - 80%.
- Where do they engage beer brands?: 1) Engaged online - 41%; 2) Interested in beer brands on social media - 70%.
Visualization by Anthony P.Munoz | Trendgraphic.tumblr.com | Sources: "Millennials seek adventure and engagement from their fave beer brands", Slingshot LLC, 9/29/2012.