Mother Nature's Impact On Water
As large towns and cities across Canada continue to grow, large paved surfaces and extreme weather conditions dramatically increase the challenge of managing excess water caused by storms.
- 68% of Canadians say that we should prepare for the possibility of a major disaster that affects stormwater management systems.
- 9/10 of Canadians believe that a major disaster of the magnitude of hurricane Sandy is possible in their community.
- $80 billion replacement cost for drinking water, wastewater and stormwater infrastructure in Canada reported to be in "fair" to "very poor" condition.
- 78% believe their town's water infrastructure is in good condition and don't need for investment in upkeep.
- 60%of 18-34 years olds would give up a paved driveway to help water management.
- 15% are very aware of the condition of municipal water infrastructure.
2013 RBC canadian Water Attitudes Study