The State Of Craft Beer In The State Of Michigan
Breweries, microbreweries and brewpubs all over Michigan are adding jobs, increasing production and investing in expansions and renovations totalling more than $70 million.
4 markets in the craft beer industry
- Microbrewery. A brewery that produces less than 15.000 barrels (117.600 hectoliters) of beer per year with 75% or more of its beer sold off site.
- Regional craft brewery. An independent regional brewery who has either an all malt flagship or has at least 50% of it's volume in either all malt beers or in beers which use adjuncts to enhance rather than lighten flavor.
- Brewpub. A restaurant-brewery that sells 25% or more of its beer on site.
- Contract brewing company. A business that hires another brewery to produce its beer. It can also be a brewery that hires another brewery to produce additional beer.
2010 total US breweries
- Brewpubs - 1.033.
- Microbreweries - 603.
- Regional craft breweries - 80.
- Regional non-craft breweries - 23.
- Large non-craft breweries - 20.
- 1716 of 1759 breweries operating in 2010 were craft breweries.
- The state of Michigan boasts close to 100 breweries.
Standard beer volume measurements
- 1 barrel = 2 kegs (half barrels), 13.8 24-packs (12 oz.), 31 gallons, 55 6-packs (12 oz.), 248 16 oz. bottles, 330 12 oz. bottles.
- Michigan's thriving brewing industry contributes over $24 million in wages with a total economic contribution of more than $133 million.
- In terms of overall number breweries, microbreweries and brewpubs, Michigan ranks #5 in the nation - thus supporting its claim as "The Great Beer State".
- In 2012, the great state of Michigan was ranked 14th on the list of US state breweries per capita: the citizens of Michigan had a brewery for every 116.278 people (with a total state population 9.883.640).
2010 package share of beer in Michigan
- Metal cans - 51.8%.
- Glass bottles - 37.7%.
- Draught - 10.3%.
- Plastic - 0.2%.
2010 average cost of a 6-pack
- Domestic - $4.67.
- Imported - $7.40.
- Sales of Michigan craft beer in the state's supermarkets increased from $11.2 million in 2007 to $22 million in 2010.
- The majority of Americans live within ten miles of a craft beer.
Brought to you by: Frankenmuth Brewery, Since 1862, www.frankenmuthbrewery.com | Sources: http://allaboutbeer.com/uncategorized/2011/07/july-is-michigan-craft-beer-month; http://www.brewerassociation.org/pages/business-
tools/craft-brewing-statistics/facts; http://www.beerinstitute.org/statistics.asp?sid=2; http://www.ttb.gov/statistics/2011/201107beer.pdf; http://michiganbrewersguild.businesscatalyst.com/mag2011/main.swf; http://www.michigan.org/