Respect The Cans: Because The Cans Respect The Beer
- Myth #1: "Aluminium cans import a metallic taste to the beer" False! Modern aluminium beer can interiors are treated with a protective coating ensuring that the beer and metal never touch!
- Myth #2: "Cans are unsophisticated". False! Cans and their permanent art are much more intriguing than most bottles with their paper labels.
- Myth #3: "Cans do not store as well as bottles". False! In a way, cans are like mini-kegs, protecting beer like cans of food being covered in anticipation of an apocalypse.
- Cans are. Aluminium gets colder quicker and chills beer faster than bottles!
- Aluminium can pioneers & advocates since 2006. Stay fresh! Cans protect beer from UV light and keep harmful Oxygen out during filling and afterwards. Oxygen can leech under a bottle cap making beer stale. Not so with
aluminium - it's air tight and oxygen-free giving cans a longer shelf life!
- Cans just rock. Comparing cans and glass bottles is like comparing vinyl albums and compact discs.
- No skunks. What happens when beer in bottles is exposed to too much ultraviolet light? Exposure to UV light releases sulphur in beer... you know the taste and it's not pleasant.
- Ouch! Cans don't shatter around the pool and cut feet... (or the other hand, they're not much good in a barroom brawl). In lots of public spaces glass is forbidden for safety reasons!
- Taste protected. Beer in cans has much better chance of tasting the way it was intended to taste.
- Environmentally friendlier. The average beer can contains 40% recycled aluminium, while American beer bottles are typically composed of 20 to 30% recycled glass.
- Energy savings when recycling 1 ton: 1) Aluminium 96%; 2) Glass - 26.5%. Recycling one ton of aluminium saves the equivalent of almost 32 barrels of oil, significantly reducing the carbon footprint of the manufacturing process.
- Lightweight. The average beer can weighs less than 1 ounce, while an empty bottle weighs in at close to 6 ounces. That disparity makes a real difference in terms of overall fuel economy and greenhouse-gas emissions during
- Space saver. Even though they came first, cans are modern in their design. They are modular and smart, stocking neatly and taking up less volume than bottles.
- Super recyclable. Unlike glass, cans are infinitely recyclable. Creating an aluminium can out of recycled materials requires only 5% as much energy as creating a brand new can from bauxite ore.
- The photo degradability and the minima use of plastic in 6-pack rings makes nature happy.
- Bonus. Cans are lighter than glass and, on the way home they can be crushed to a very, very, very small size.
- Portable & packable. Nothing against bottles, but did you ever take a six pack of long necks on a hike? All 12oz. cans are the same size and fit nicely into a day pack.
- Cans are perfect. for hiking, kayaking, climbing, beaching, chilling, relaxing... anything really! From the mountains to the sea, cans are the way to be. Always enjoy responsibly.
Sly Fox | Please Recycle! | Respectthecans.com | Notes & Sources: Worcester Plotechnic Institute: Glass and Aluminium Beverage Bottle Comparison. March, 2009; The Aluminium Association: Recycling One Can Saves the Energy
Used to Watch the Super Bowl. February, 2010; The Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment and Energy Towards Climate-Friendly Transportation and Activities. May, 2011.
(c) Sly Fox and Sly Fox Brewing Company. All rights reserved. Unauthorized duplication and use without permission strictly prohibited.