16 Things You Didn't Know About Sleep
Sleep is absolutely essential for every human being. Despite scientists still not figuring out the process entirely, we still know a lot about this daily activity. Every mammal, bird and most reptiles, amphibians and
fish require sleep to function. Here are 16 things you probably never knew about sleep.
- #1 What goes on when you sleep: your brain recharges; your cells repair themselves.
- #2 You need different amounts of sleep depending on your age: babies - 10 hours; 3-12 - 10 hours; 13-18 - 10 hours; 19-55 - 8 hours; over 65 - 6 hours.
- #3 Men have dreams about other men 70% of the time. But women dream about women and men equally.
- #4 We can only dream about faces we have already seen, whether we actively remember them or not. parasomnia is a type of sleep disorder that makes you do unnatural movements, despite being asleep.
- #5 Crimes committed on parasomnia include: sleep driving;writing bad checks; murder; child molesting; rape.
- #6 12% of people dream only in black and white. This number use to be higher but since the advent of color television, more people dream in color than before.
- #7 Dreaming is normal. People who do not dream genetically have personality disorders.
- #8 Sleep positions may determine your personality. The most common positions: a.Fetal (41%) - people are gruff initially, but have warm and open hearts; b. log (15%) - social butterflies; c. the yearner
(13%) - perceived as open, but truly suspicious; d.soldier (8%) - reserved; e.freefall (7%) - fun and fantastic at parties; f.starfish (5%) - excellent listeners.
- #9 1 in 4 married couples sleep in separate beds.
- #10 British soldiers were the first to develop a method in staying up 36 hours without sleep. When fatigued, they put special visors that emulated the brightness of a sunrise and it woke them up.
- #11 Longest sleeping mammals: koalas - 22 hours a day; brown bat - 19.9 hours a day; pangolins - 18 hours a day. Shortest sleeping mammals: giraffes: 1.9 hours a day (in 5-10 minute sessions); roe deer -
3.09 hours a day; Asiatic elephant - 3.1 hours a day.
- #12 When dolphins sleep, only half their brain shuts down. The other half stays awake to help with breathing cycles.
- #13 You'll die from sleep deprivation before food depravation. It takes 2 weeks to starve, but 10 days without sleep can kill you.
- #14 Those born blind experience dreams involving: emotion; sound; smell; and touch instead of sight. Blind people can still see images in dreams.
- #15 Within 5 minutes of walking up, 50% of your dream is forgotten. Within 10 minutes, 90% is gone. 1 out of 50 teenagers still wet their beds.
Design by Ellie Koning
Sources: http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/SleepDisorders/6834; http://www.abc.net.au/science/sleep/facts.htm; http://www.tastyhuman.com/13-interesting-facts-about-dreams; http://www.
sleepapneadisorder.info/your-drooling-could-be-a-sign-of-sleep-apnea; http://www.sleepapnea.org/info.index.html; http://www.slate.com/id/2108762; http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-
http://www.lakesidepress.com/pulmonary/Sleep/sleep-murder.html; http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/emotional_health/bereavement/bereavement_helpourselves.html; http://www.tastyhuman.com/13-interesting-
facts-about-dreams; http://facts.randomhistory.com/interesting-facts-about-dreams.html; http://www.dreamlucid.info/interesting-dream-facts; http://www.sleephomepages.org/sleepsyllabusyb.html;