The Social Marketer’s Urban Twictionary
Twitter buzzwords, Twitter speak, Twitter jargon - vernacular Twitter lingo is like a living, breathing organism that evolves as rapidly as Kim Kardashian adds Twitter followers. But a select few sayings likely aren't going
anywhere. Do you know what each of these social slang words and acronyms actually means? We built a "Twictionary" for the average social media marketer to help you make sense of it all.
- "Can you ever NOT be using technology?". "What can I say? I'm attwicted."
Attwicted: verb. The act of being added to Twitter.
- "Did you see how many times this infographic was tweeted?!". "Never underestimate the power of bird-of-mouth."
Bird-of-mouth marketing: noun. A loose from of Twitter-based marketing where you rely heavily on Twitter users to share your content with others.
- "On second thought, I think this better be a detweet."
Detweet: noun. The tweet you composed but then erased, for any reason, before posting.
- "All yous marketaz: Whatch out, cuz there's a new kid on the block .#Yolo"
Dweet: noun. A nearly incomprehensible tweet that is posted be an individual who is incredibly intoxicated.
- "I thought I asked you to tweet our new blog post earlier today.". "Chill out! I'm waiting for PTT."
PTT (peak tweet time): noun. The window of time during any given day when Twitter activity is at its highest and marketers seek ultimate tweet visibility.
- What did the red elephant say to the blue donkey? "Quit being such an a $$".
Politweet: noun. A politically changed tweet that is likely to offend most, if not all, readers.
- "Click the link to but my new book "10 ways to piss off your Twitter followers"" @twitterguru1982.
Repeatweet: noun. A tweet that is sent more than once because the composer believes the content of the message is especially marketable.
- Who the devil is this twalker?! @WatchYourBack3000 id now following you.
Twalker: noun. A person who creates a Twitter account for the sole purpose of stalking someone.
- I can't believe the nerve of that company - posting four repeatweets! Just don't stoop to their level by throwing a twantrum.
Twantrum: noun. An especially annoying rant or tantrum thrown via Twitter.
- You're really looking to increase your tweet cred, aren't you? @aplusk You're the perfect guy to play Steve in #Jobs! #iloveashton.
Tweet cred:noun. Accolades received from a celeb on Twitter, which earns you new followers, web traffic, and general credibility for your brand and product.
- "I'm thinking of marketing this party in the twitterverse". Boy: "Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a tweetup!".
Tweetup: noun. A gathering, usually for networking purposes, that is planned on Twitter by a group of Twitter users.
- If only I could find a twillionaire to settle down with, I'd be set for life.
Twillionaire: noun. A person who became filthy rich because of his or her personal marketing skills on Twitter.
- "Hold the camera flashes; you're looking at the newest member of the twitterattic". "Wow, even @Smooki is tweeting at you!"
Twitteratti: noun. A portmanteau of the words "Twitter" and "glitterati", these are Twitter's perceived A-listers, whom other users want to follow or by whom they wish to be followed.
- "God, I hope that was a twypo". @marketinggirld360 It's so cold in my office that I've had to crap myself in a blanket all day!
Twypo: noun. A misspelled word that completely changes the tweet's meaning.
- Twurvey of the day: On a sca of 1 to 5, how would you rate the new Justin Bieber album?
Twurvey: noun. An informal survey conducted on Twitter that is typically used for marketing purposes.
For more social marketing awesomeness check ou www.Marketo.com/social-marketing