Antarctica Fun Facts
- Antarctica is the coldest continent on Earth.
- The average temperature is 17° C colder than the Arctic.
- The lowest temperature recorded here was -89° C.
- Six species of penguin can be found on Antarctica. The largest is Emperor Penguin, they migrate to Antarctica during breeding season.
- Polar bears are residents of the Arctic, not Antarctica. Penguins are not on their menu.
- The only terrestrial species living on the continent is a midge called Belgica Antarctica, it measures less than half an inch long (it's also the region's only insect).
- Leopard Seals hunt penguins, fish, as well as squid and krill. Due to having no predators in Antarctica, they show no fear toward humans.
- If Antarctica's ice sheet, melts... The level of the world's oceans rise by around 200 ft.
- 90% of the world's ice; 79% of Earth's freshwater lay solely on Antarctica.
- Antarctica is divided into two segments, east and west. The segments are divided by a mountain range.
Powered by Adventures - the great adventure people.
Sources: coolantarctica.com; nhm.ac.uk