Aftersales: The Stats
- 31.3 m. cars on the road in U.K. In 2012 the U.K. franchised sector captured just 25% of all servicing work.
- Yet 81% of franchised dealers see customer retention as the biggest hurdle to overcome.
- And 90% of leading franchised dealers are failing to offer online promotion of core aftersales offerings.
- Most owners are happy with their car and service.
- On average, the 4.500 respondents in the Motor Codes new car survey rated: the aftersales service provided by car manufactures 4.29 on a scale of 1 to 5 and their satisfaction with their new vehicle 4.46.
Parts & accessories
- Franchised dealers are missing out on £1.bn worth revenue annually by failing to sell parts for items identified by vehicle health checks.
- Over 90% of consumers searched for parts and accessories online before purchasing in 2012 but just 33.5% of the U.K. top 200 motor retailers have an eCommerce solution in place to cater for this audience.
- £120 bn. - value of U.K. online transactions in 2012.
- Dealers have been urged to boost service plan sales to arrest the continuing decline in overhead absorption which may fall as low as 50% in 2012 due to decreasing service revenues and increasing overheads. just 5% of
the top 200 motor retailers are offering service plans online.
- 66% of customers believed a franchised dealer was "always more expensive" than an independent workshop.
- 23% of motorists use the dealer that sold them their car for servicing.
- 42% don't use franchised dealers because they trusted their local independent dealer or a garage they has used in the past.
- Only 4.5% of the top 200 dealers are trying to sell tyres online.
- Year-on-year searches for tyres were up 17% in 2012.
- Tyre search peaked in October and November due to growing popularity in winter tyres.
Sources: ASE, 2013 | Boston Consultancy Group, 2012 | Castrol Professional car Service and Repair Trend Tracker report, 2012 | Motor codes, 2013 | Google Automotive Trends, 2013 | Motor Trader, September
2012 | GForces EIS, 2013 | ASE, Aug 2012 | Motors.co.uk, November 2012 | SMMT, Motor Industry Facts, 2013 | Alphera Financial.