The Benefits of Learning Languages
- 270 British dating agencies agreed that people who speak foreign language are more attractive. Bilingual people are sexy.
- The sexiest accents: 1) Irish; 2) Italian; 3) Brazilian Portuguese; 4) French; 5) British.
- Children raised by bilingual couples are more likely to have better memory and overall intelligence.
- 63% of those surveyed have dated someone who speaks a different language.
- Benefits of speaking a country's native language when traveling: 1) Saving money; 2) Safety; 3) Ordering food; 4) Getting a job; 5) Making friends.
- Each year the number of international students increases by 12%: 1) 1975 - 800.000; 2) 2009 - 3.500.000.
- An increase of 3x over 20 years. U.S. students who studied abroad for credit.
- 98% of those surveyed thought that learning a second language would help their career.
- Over 1/3 of businesses want people specifically for their language skills.
- Multilingual employees can expect a salary uplift of up to 20% in certain jobs.
- Occupations in which speaking 2+ languages is beneficial: 1) Journalist; 2) Computer games designer; 3) Marketing manager; 4) Tourist guide; 5) Engineer; 6) Doctor.
- 95% of those surveyed think that learning language would improve their brain power.
- Students who study a foreign language for 4 or more years outperform their classmates.
- Mental benefits of learning languages: 1) Memory; 2) Multi-tasking; 3) Aptitude; 4) Health; 5) Attention.
- Bilinguals find it easier to learn a third language than monolinguals do to learn a second.
- People who speak 2+ languages are 4x less likely to have cognitive impairment.
KAPLAN - International Colleges.
Sources: UNWTO World Tourism Barometer; UNESCO; British Council; CILT; CBI; American Academy of Neurology; Connecticut State Department of Education; Pentucket Regional School District; Northwestern
University; Kormi-Nouri R. Moniri S, & Nilsson L.G.; Chicago Tribune; Survey of 1728 prospective; Kaplan students; http://learninglanguages.com; http://www.ranker.com.