A Tree-Mendous Christmas
Trees are the most recognizable sign of Christmas, but what do you know about them?
- Tree types in UK households: 1) Artificial trees - 66.6%; 2) Real trees - 33.3%.
- Tree types in US households: 1) Artificial trees - 58%; 2) Real trees - 42%.
- Trees grown annually (figures taken from 2001 and 2002): 1) USA - 20.8 million; 2) Germany - 19 million; 3) France - 9.2 million; 4) Denmark - 8.5 million; 5) Belgium - 5.2 million; 6) UK - 4.4 million.
- Christmas tree timeline: 1) 1510. First Christmas tree used in festive celebrations in Latvia; 2) 1747. The first example of artificial Christmas trees were created by the German Moravian Church; 3) 1841. Christmas trees become a
popular tradition in the UK - a custom introduced by Prince Albert; 4) 1901. The year the World's first Christmas tree farm was sown in New Jersey, USA; 5) 1947. Norway begin a tradition of giving a Christmas tree to England. The
gift is an expression of gratitude for help during World War II.
- Each acre of land dedicated to growing Christmas trees will provide the daily oxygen required by 18 people.
- Most popular real trees (as voted for by About.com readers): 1) Fraser Fir - 1st; 2) Douglas Fir - 2nd; 3) Balsam Fir - 3rd.
- In sport: Did you know? England used the "Christmas tree" formation during the Euro 96 football tournament.
- For every Christmas tree harvested, 3 more are planted in its place.
- 98% of all trees brought worldwide are grown on tree farms (the other 2% are cut from the wild).
- Estimations suggest that 976.000 real Christmas trees are thrown away each year in London alone. Only 10% of these are recycled.
Recycle Now - visit recyclenow.co.uk to see where you can recycle your tree.
- Using electric lights on Christmas trees was first suggested by Edward Johnson (Thomas Edison;s assistant) in 1882.
- Famous Christmas trees - a size comparison (sizes are approximate - each tree varies from year to year): 1) Statue of Liberty (USA) - 46 metres; 2) Saint Peter's Square (Vatican City) - 30 metres; 3) Rockefeller Center (USA) - 23
metres; 4) Trafalgar Square (UK) - 20 metres; 5) White House (USA) - 5.5 metres; 6) Adult male - 1.6 metres.
- The average number of presents a child in the UK receives under the Christmas tree.
All in one - Garden and Leisure.
Compiled by All-In-One Garden Centre 2010 http://www.allinone.co.uk.
Sources: http://www.betga.co.uk; http://www.christmastree.org/facts.cfm; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree_production; http://www.worldofchristmas.net/christmas-
trees/trivia.html; http://foresty.about.com/gi/pages/poll.htm?poll_id=9132401178; http://www.pinesandneedles.com/information/Christmas-Tree-Facts; http://www.metro.co.uk/news/26942-tree-shrotage-threatens-christmas;