Evolution Of The Salesperson: How Sales Is Changing Over Time
Buyers have changed
- Marketing is shifting to inbound marketing using web-based content and recommendations from others to attract leads.
- 70% of buying process is complete before buyer engages with a salesperson.
- On average IT decision makers need to consume 5 pieces of content before being ready to speak to sales rep.
Number of decision makers increasing
- Larger buying teams means more people for salesperson to educate, influence and coordinate. Number of people involved in decision making: 1) 2010 - 5 months; 2) 5.2 months - 2011; 3) 2012 - 5.4 months.
Getting the attention of executives
- 65% of time executives go with the vendor helping early on to set the buying vision.
- 72% of executives take an appointment when vendor sells a product they were already looking for.
- 69% of executives take an appointment when vendor addresses an existing problem.
- Buyers are more knowledgeable, more connected and busier!
The rapid emergence of social web changes everything!
- Time it took for tech.media to reach 50 million users: 1) Radio - 38 years; 2) TV - 13 years; 3) iPod - 4 years; 4) Facebook - 1 year; 5) Twitter - 9 months.
- 150 million online conversations per day up to $1.3 trillion in value can be unlocked through social technologies.
- 72% of all companies use social technologies by 2011.
Remote sales increasing
- By 2020, customers will manage 85% of their relationships with the enterprise without interacting with a human causing employment for sales for professionals to decrease from 18 million to 4 million.
# deleted: Don't do this
- It's all about me, me, me.
- 68% of companies still use an outdated product selling approach.
- 56% of the time, sales representatives are not prepared for initial meeting.
- Average in person sales call costs - $215-$400.
- Outside sales growing at only 0.5% per year.
# relevant: Do do this
- It's all about the customer.
- How you sell matters! Price is much less of a differentiator (5%) than sales experience (79%).
- Availability of knowledge & expertise via social media reduces information search time up to 35%.
- Average inside sales call only costs - $25-$75.
- Inside sales team growing at 7.5% per year.
Evolve or die!
- Update your tool kit.
- Listening & researching: 1) TweetDeck; 2) HootSuite.
- Closing the deal: 1) DocuSign; 2) EchoSign.
- Prospecting: 1) LinkedIn; 2) InsideView; 3) ToutApp; 4) YesWare.
- Communicating: 1) Join Me; 2) TimeTrade; 3) OLark; 4) SnapEngage; 5) PostWire; 6) ClearSide.
- Managing relationships socially: 1) Rapportive; 2) Nimble; 3) SalesForce.com.
Share information & insights in a visual modern way. sign up for free PostWare account - www.postware.com | Presented by PostWire | Developed by NowSourcing | Sourecs: 1. The Challenger Sale: taking Control of the Customer
Conversation - http://www.executiveboard.com/exbdresources/challenger/index.html; 2. The stat: "B2B buyers are 70% through the buying process contacting the vendor" is widely attributed to research by Sinus Decisions;
3. Decision Engagement: the Role of content in the IT Purchase Conducted across the IDG Enterprise brands: CIO, ComputerWorld, CSO, InfoWorld, ItWorld & network World; 4. IDC's 2013 Trends, Benchmarks, and Essential
Guidance for Technology Sales Organizations IDC Exclusive Webcast: Annual Sales technology Buyer Insight Study. September 27, 2012; Forrester: Technology Buyer Insight Study: How Executives Differentiate Among Their
Suppliers by Scott Santucci for technology & Sales Enablement Professionals. June 15, 2010; McKinsey Global Institute - The Social Economy: Unlocking Value and Productivity through Social technologies. July 2012; 7. Gerhard
Gschwandtner, CEO of Selling Power magazine, publicly predicts a decline in sales professional headcount from around 18m. to eventually 4m in 2020 - http://www.business2community.com/sales-management/todays-topchallenge-
for-sales-leaders-0275753; 8. http://www.tele-smart.com/blog/10-reasons-why-field-sales-teams-are-becoming-extinct; 9. A study done by SKKU and MIT, in conjunction with InfoUSA, found that over the next three years, Inside
Sales is growing at a fifteen times higher rate (7.5% versus 0.5% annually) over Outside Sales, to the tune of 800.000 new jobs - http://www.insidesales.com/insider/remote-sales/what-is-inside-sales; 10. www.hubspot.com;
11. 65% of the time executive goes with the vendor setting the buying vision - http://www.personalbrandingblog.com/your-1-competitor-is-status-quo.