Holidays by the Numbers
- $688 - the average shoppers spending for gifts.
- $900 - pre-recession average spending.
- 50 million Christmas trees are sold each year.
- $232 will be spent on electronics.
- $662 will be spent on food, travel and decoration.
- 70% of retail sales annual revenue is made in December.
- 250 Christmas trees will catch fire in someone's home.
- Santa travels at 3.604 miles per second.
- 5340 swipes per minutes in the U.S. between Thanksgiving & Christmas (Visa).
- $2.25 billion is generated from photos with Santa in shopping malls.
- Xbox 360's Kinect is projected to be 2010's top selling gift.
- 1.2 billion candy canes re sold each year.
- 20% of Americans finish holiday shopping on Christmas Eve.
- 64 billion dollars in sales will be made this year from Black Friday.
- 2010 Black Friday online sales will generate over $1 billion.
-$32 billion will be spent on online shopping.
- 130 million pounds of Eggnog are sold each year.
- 275 million Christmas cards are mailed on December 17th.
- 4 million tons of trash are generated from gift wrap/bags each year.
- 27% of smartphone users will research or purchase gifts via mobile.
Brought to you by Digital Surgeons.
Sources: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/yop-stories/2006/12/18/50-things-yule-never-know-about-xmas-115875-18279636; http://www.charlotteobserver.com/0210/10/21/1776313/holiday-spending-will-drop-
survey.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter; http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2010/10/21/home-for-the-holidays-a-preview-of-the-2010-season; http://www.thatsamikecheck.com/2010/01/02/holidata-
holiday-season-infographics; http://www.uberreviews.com/2005/12/christmas-statfacts-and-other-geeky.htm; http://www.internetretailer.com/2010/10/18/holiday-season-could-bring-more-online-shopping-nrf-says.