How To Claim Dad And Partner Pay
Attention birth mums! We can't accept a claim from you, even on dad's behalf. The dad or partner needs to claim.
- When to start: As early as three months before your baby's birth.
- Talk to your employer about taking two weeks unpaid leave to spend with your baby (between their birth and first birthday).
- Register for online services at humanservices.gov.au/centrelinkonline. The, log on and choose "apply" for a payment then "parent" or "guardian" to claim.
- We'll start work on your claim and contact you if we need more information.
- When your baby arrives, register their birth with births, deaths and marriages.
Give us proof of birth
- The are three ways to do this:
- #1 Mum can give us the Newborn Child Claim for Paid Parental Leave, family Assistance and Medicare form she'll get in hospital.
- #2 Mum can send us a photos of the back page of the form when she completes her claim for Parental Leave Pay or Baby Bonus using our Express Plus Families mobile app.
- #3 You can give us a birth certificate.
- Once we have all the information we need, we'll finalize your claim and get ready to pay you. This can take up to three weeks.
When you'll get paid
- If we finalise your claim before your unpaid leave starts, we'll pay you during the first week of your unpaid leave.
- Otherwise, you should get paid within three weeks of giving us proof of birth, which could be after your unpaid leave.
- Take your leave and spend time with your baby/.
CentreLink - Family Assistance | Visit humanservices.gov.au/dadandpartnerpay for more information | Disclaimer: This information is accurate as April 2013. If you use this infographic after that date, please check with us that the
details are current | Australian Government - Department of Human Services.