American's Hand Hygiene Habits
A majority of Americans are getting caught dirty-handed when it comes to their handwashing habits. A survey of 1,000 U.S. adults by SCA, a global hygiene company, uncovered that consumers understand the importance of
hand hygiene but their practices may be grossly exaggerated.
- 71% say they practice good hand hygiene and wash their hands regularly.
- Yet ...58% have witnessed others leaving public restroom without washing their hands.
- 20% witnessed restaurant employees.
- 35% witnessed co-workers.
- 33% witnessed friends.
- 39% do not wash their hands after sneezing, coughing or after blowing their nose.
- On average, you come in contact with 300 surfaces every 30 minutes, exposing you to 840.000 germs*.
SCA c/o Life.
*According to 2011 Tork* Report. On behalf of SCA, KRC Research conducted 1.000 online interviews among a nationally representative sample of adults in the U.S., from October 7, 2012.