Play ball! Memorable Moments In Baseball History
Each year, millions of fans fill stadiums across the country to celebrate America's favorite pastime. Baseball is one of our oldest traditions, and it's changed a lot since the game was invented almost 200 years ago. Take a
look at the events that shaped modern baseball into the sport we know today.
- 1846. The first official game of baseball was played.
- 1868. The first pack of baseball cards was created.
- 1876. The first professional baseball league was founded.
- 1920. The average baseball ticket cost $1.00.
- 1921. Baseball was broadcast on the radio for the first time.
- 1929. Teams began wearing numbers on the back of their jerseys.
- 1935. The first professional night game was played.
- 1939. A baseball game was televised for the first time.
- 1963. The average baseball ticket cost $2.25.
- 1973. The designated hitter rule was established.
- 1982. Average baseball ticket price broke $5.
- 1994. The average baseball ticket price broke $10.
- 2013. The most expensive hot dog at a baseball stadium costs $6.25.
- 21 million hot dogs are purchased each year at baseball games. End-to-end, they'd round the bases 29.691 teams.
- Longest professional game: 1984 - 8 hours 6 minutes.
- Shortest game: 1919 - 51 minutes.
- Average length today: about 2 hours 50 minutes.
- The Star Spangled Banner was first played during the seventh-inning stretch at Game One of the 1918 World Series. The song became the official national anthem in 1913.
- More than 74.8 million fans attended professional games in 2012.
Sources: http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/timeline; http://sportcards.about.com/od/baseballcards/a/bbtimeline.htm; http://softschools.com/timelines/baseball_history-timeline/88; http://eh.net/encyclopedia/article/hauper.mlb;
http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/baseball/timeline; http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1157233-200-events-that-defined-shaped-and-changed-major-league-baseball; http://www.delish.com/food-fun/baseball-stadium-hot-
dogs#slide-1; http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/tb/history/national_anthem.jsp; http://www.baseball-almanac.com/rb_gmlg.shtml; http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1271178-major-league-baseball-why-games-need-to-be-
shortened-and-how-it-can-be-done; http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=2012004&content_id=39483214&vkey=pr_mlb&c_id=mlb; http://www.money.cnn.com/2013/03/31/pf/baseball-prices/index.html.
Nationwide - On Your Side.