Social gaming: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
- 20% of the US population has played a game on a social network site. Of these, 35% have never played any other kinds of video games.
- 68.7 million Americans will be playing social games by 2012. (That's nearly the population of Iran).
- One out of every five Americans over the age of six has played an online social game at least once.
- 55% of social gamers are female and 45% are male.
Play multiple times a day (29% - male, 38 - female).
Play with people they know (56% - male, 68% - female).
Play with strangers (41% - male, 33% - female).
- 78% of women earn virtual currency via promotions.
- Top 10 Facebook games (Ordered by millions of monthly active users).
CityVille - 90.
farmVille - 43.
Texas HoldEm Poker - 35.
Monster Galaxy - 14.6.
FrontierVille - 13.9.
Gardens of Time - 13.
Cafe World - 11.9.
RewardVille - 10.5.
Bejeweled Blitz - 10.5.
Empires & Allies - 9.6.
Games developed by Zynga.
- Disney acquired Playdom for $763.2 million.
- EA acquired Playfish for $400 million.
- US social gaming revenues (millions of dollars).
Virtual good - $510 - $653 - $792.
Lead generations offers - $225 - $248 - $260.
Advertising - $120 - $192 - $271.
- $64 - average expenditure per user in North America over four months.
- Zynga's perks rival Google's?
Employees signed out for quarterly awards get their choice between a "carload of vested stock" or a "weekend spin in a $200.000 Lamborghini". Game engineers can send administrative assistants to their homes to walt for visits from the handyman and company-paid acupuncture treatments.
- 90% of Zynga's revenue comes from virtual goods. The better Business Bureau has processed 436 complaints about Zynga in the last 36 months.
- Zynga teamed up with Lady Gaga on a series of promotions for her album Born This Way. These included farmVille, Words with Friends, and RewardVille.
- YoVille. Pet adoptions in YoVille raised $90.000 for SF/SPCA during the spring of 2009.
- World of WarCraft. The Pandaren Monk in World of WarCraft generated $1.1 million in donations for the Make-a-Wish Foundation.
- Mafia Wars. Teddy bear purchases in Mafia Wars raised more than $100.000 for Coalition for the Cure in march 2010.
- When online, the average American spends more time on Facebook than on Google, Yahoo, Youtube, Microsoft, Wikipedia and Amazon combined.
- 50% of Facebook log-ins are purely to play games. 1 in every 5 Facebook users plays FarmVille
- farmVilles farmers outnumber real farmers in the U.S. by a ratio of 80 to 1. Many real-life farmers actually play farmVille themselves.
Infographic presented by Single Grain
Created by oBizMedia.com
Designed by Samantha Sanders