GARDENING SECRETS TO BOOST YOUR HEALTH AND LIFESTYLE
You know that gardening and plants are good for the soul right?
- Figures show that adults and children alike can reap the benefits of a little gardening activity. Read on to discover why you need to roll up your sleeves, grab yourself a trowel and start gardening now.
The UK gardening market size and makeup
- The gardening market makes up a significant part of the UK retail market with billions being spent by amateurs and professional alike.
- "Grow your Own" continues to thrive and goes from strength to strength with many garden owners planning to grow their own fruit and vegetables: 1) 36% enjoy sharing knowledge and ideas about gardening; 2) 40% of
parents of school children claim their child's school has communicated with them about school gardening in the last year, helping to raise local interest in gardening; 3) Younger, family stage consumers often focus on the garden as a
child-friendly space for socializing and entertaining in a pleasant environment, ideally requiring a minimum of time to maintain; 4) Half of garden owners intended to grow their own fruit and vegetables in 2011 and 12% of these claim
to be first timers.
- How gardening can make you & your children happy: A recent study, involving 1.300 teachers and 10 schools commissioned by the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS), revealed that taking part on gardening can make a child feel
happy and boost their development.
Where schools promoted gardening it showed that children became
- More resilient, confident and lived healthier lives.
- Boosted their readiness to learn.
- Helped pupils to become more active.
- Overcame fear of insects.
- Waiting for crops to grow taught children patience.
- More willing to try new vegetables.
- better able to think on their feet.
- Improved literacy and numeracy skills.
- More flexible approach to problem solving.
- Learned more healthy living and healthy eating.
Cost of gardening
- Gardening - $17.90.
- Football tickets - $48.90.
- Car fuel - $96.95.
- Train ticket - $23.38.
- Pint of beer - $15.18.
- Gym - $36.83.
- Theme parks - $39.64.
- Cinema - $6.24.
- Eating out - $20.00.
- TV - $45.75.
- Takeaway - $11.12.
Why gardening should be your new favourite hobby
- Household leisure spending has never been under so much pressure. Cost of popular leisure activities have increased more rapidly than the rise in consumer price inflation (29%) over the same period.
The value of gardens in urban areas
- The value of inner city gardening and green areas is often under-estimated. However surveys show that the average domestic garden can play an important in our overall urban landscape.
- Domestic gardens contain approximately 25 percent of the total non-forest and woodland trees.
- More than 85 percent of the UK population lives in towns and cities.
- Urban domestic gardens contribute from 22-27 percent of the total urban area in many cities.
- Urban gardens can contribute as much as 86 percent of the total urban tree stock.
Some tips for domestic gardeners
- Consider reducing the area of lawn in your garden, replacing it with other permanent planting.
- Collect rainwater and use "grey water" (previously used for washing dishes, baths etc. and suitable for small scale, short-term use).
- Think "right plant, right place" to minimise water use and maximise energy saving.
The Garden Furniture Centre Ltd : www.garnedfurniturecentre.co.uk | Sources: http://www.the-hta.org/pageid=187; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10427338; http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/media1/press_releases/2012_press_