Guinness vs. Beer. Which Is Healthiest?
- How long will it take to burn off a pint of regular beer or Guinness?: 1) Running: Regular beer - 18 min.; Guinness - 15 min.; 2) Dancing: Regular beer - 36 min.; Guinness - 29 min. 30 sec.; Select 55 - 10 min.
- 1 1/2 pints is how much the average moustachioed Guinness drinker traps in their moustache every year.
- Strongest beers out there. Beers with the highest alcohol and calorie content. A mere sip of some of these drinks would put you over the legal driving limit: 1) Start the Future (Koelschip) - 1821 cal.; 2) Schorschbock (Schorschbräu)
- 1731 cal.; 3) The End of History (Brewdog) - 1650 cal.; 4) Sink The Bismarck! (Brewdog) - 1230 cal.; 5) Tactical Nuclear Penguin (Brewdog) - 960 cal.; 6) Ghost Deer (Brewdog) - 960 cal.; 7) Utopias (Sam Adams) - 810 cal.;
8) Baz's Super Brew (Parish Brewery) - 680 cal.; 9) Millennium (Samuel Adams) - 600 cal.
- 2 hours & 34 minutes running time to burn off 1821 calories.
- Guinness. Back in the 19th century, the Irish brewed Guinness twice as strong when shipping to Nigeria for fear that it would evaporate during the journey. It didn't evaporate. The Guinness Nigeria brewery have brewed their
Foreign Extra Stout at 7.5% ever since.
- Which countries consume the most & least beer? Beer in litres per capita: Most: Palau - 8.68; Czech Republic - 8.51; Seychelles - 7.15; Ireland - 7.04; Azerbaijan - 7; Austria - 6.7; Uganda - 6.51; Germany - 6.22; Lithuania - 5.6;
Estonia - 5.52; Belgium - 5.49; Gabon - 5.28; Venezuela - 5.19; Denmark - 5.06; United Kingdom - 4.93; 2) Least. Excludes countries in which no beer is consumed: Mali - 0.07; Indonesia - 0.06; India - 0.06; Niger - 0.05; Qatar -
0.04; Syria - 0.04; Jordan - 0.04; Sri Lanka - 0.02; Ian - 0.02; Haiti - 0.01.
- Who consumes the most Guinness?: 1) UK; 2) Ireland; 3) Nigeria; 4) USA; 5) Cameroon.
By the numbers
- By calories. Guinness (12 ounce serving size): 1) Guinness Draught - 125 calories, 21 peanuts; 2) Guinness Extra Stout - 153 calories, 25.5 peanuts; 3) Guinness Foreign Extra - 176 calories, 29 peanuts.
- By calories. Lite Beer (12 ounce serving size): 1) Michelob Ultra - 95 calories, 16 peanuts; 2) Amstel Light - 70 calories, 12 peanuts; 3) Beck's Premier Light - 64 calories, 11 peanuts; 4 ) Select 55 - 55 calories, 9 peanuts.
- Alcohol by volume. Guinness (12 ounce serving size): 1) Guinness Draught - 4.1%-4.3%; 2) Guinness Extra Stout - 4.1%-6%; 3) Guinness Foreign Extra - 5%-8%.
- Alcohol by volume. Lite Beer (12 ounce serving size): 1) Michelob Ultra - 4.2%; 2) Amstel Light - 3.5%; 3) Beck's Premier Light - 2.3%; 4 ) Select 55 - 2.5%.
- Guinness Draught pint (176 calories) vs. Regular Beer pint (204 calories) - 224 calories OJ.
- Throughout history, a pint of good stuff has brought communities together, helped ugly folk get laid and done wonders for people's confidence, Guinness and beer actually contain their own unique health benefits that can have
positive long term effects on the body.
- Great skin conditioner. Its yeast extract can improve the symptoms of acne by slowing down sebum production and killing off the bacteria that triggers it. Try adding a can to a hot bath and having a long soak to get the benefits.
- Good source of protein. Isinglass, the substance obtained from the dried swim bladders of fish, is used as a fining agent in bntb Guinness and beer barrels. Sometimes this can pass through into the drink. While not suitable for
hardcore vegans, it can be a good source of protein.
- Unclogging arteries. Contains antioxidant compounds that slow down the deposit of harmful cholesterol on the artery walls. For maximum benefit, drink one pint a day.
- Maintains healthy heart. Contains vitamin B6, which prevents the buildup of homocysteine that causes heart disease.
- High in iron. In 1920's UK, post-op patients, blood donors and pregnant women were given Guinness because its Iron volume prevented anaemia.
- Good for the bones. Thanks to the mineral silicon presence, moderate beer consumption can fight osteoporosis; a bone disease caused by low bone mass and deterioration of bone tissue.
- Score: 1) Guinness - 3 points; 2) Beer - 4 points.
GoIreland.com - Get A Room | Sources: www.who.int; www.wisebread.com; listverse.com; www.asylum.com; www.dailymail.co.uk; news.bbc.co.uk; www.instructables.com; www.guinness.com; www.livestrong.com.