How to Achieve a Proper Meditative Pose.
- The right hand placed in left hand, palms up, with the tips of the thumbs lifted and gently touching.
- The back is straight but not tense.
- Sit back on your sit bones to prevent slouching.
- The head is tipped forward with chin slightly tucked in.
- Mouth in natural position, but tongue should touch back of the upper teeth, ’to prevent your mouth from drying out Elbows pointed out to let air circulate.
- Elbows pointed out to let air circulate.
- Eyes neither completely open nor completely closed.
- Shoulders level and relaxed.
- Legs crossed in vajra posture.
Black and White Meditation
- Breathe in through the nose.
- Imagine you are drawing bright, white light into your body.
- Fail your lungs completely.
- Imagine that white light is filling your body completely.
- Imagine your stress and negative thoughts as darkness.
- Push it all together into a black mass and exhale it out. Breathe out through your mouth.
- Empty your lungs completely.
- Keep breathing until all the black is gone, and your entire body is white. In through the nose, out through the mouth.
The Benefits of Meditation
When under lots of stress, the body releases cortisol, a stress hormone. When sustained for long periods of time, cortisol can cause a variety of health problems.
Lower Blood Pressure
During meditation the body requires less oxygen, which means the heart can beat fewer beats and reduces blood pressure.
Cortisol causes fat gain around visceral organs,leading to health problems.
Cortisol causes collagen loss in the skin,which causes wrinkles!
Improved Immune System
Research has shown meditation increases antibodies and helps the immune system act faster.
Better Bone Density
Prolonged Stress and cortisol production can weaken bone formation, which can lead to osteoporosis
Regulates Blood Sugar Levels
Reducing stress reduces the product of neurohormones, which can help balance glucose and insulin in the blood.
Long-term cortisol exposure can damage the hippocampus and impair learning.
10 Minutes of Meditation a Day can Keep the Doctor Away