Yoga For Starters
What's your style?
- Yoga styles flowchart (Keys: Vegetarian; Prenatal; Philosophy; Chanting; Meditation; relaxing; Slow-pace; Fast-pace; Heart-opening; Focused breathing; Stress-relief; Sweaty; Weight-loss; Strength; Endurance; Flow): 1) Ashtanga
(vigorous flow): Prenatal; Fast-pace; Sweaty; Strength; Weight-loss; Endurance; Flow; 2) Vinyasa (vigorous flow): Fast-pace; Focused breathing; Sweaty; Strength; Weight-loss; Endurance; Flow; 3) Hatha (vigorous flow): Prenatal;
Slow-pace; Focused breathing; Stress-relief; 4) Barkan (hot yoga): Slow-pace; Stress-relief; Sweaty; Strength; Weight-loss; Endurance; Flow; 5) Bikram (hot yoga): Fast-pace; Stress-relief; Sweaty; Strength; Weight-loss; Endurance;
6) Iyengar (alignment): Prenatal; Slow-pace; Focused breathing; Strength; 7) Anusara (alignment): Philosophy; Heart-opening; Flow; 8) Viniyoga (healing): Prenatal; Chanting; Meditation; Slow-pace; 8) Restorative (healing): Meditation;
relaxing; Slow-pace; 9) Kundalini (spiritual): Philosophy; Chanting; Meditation; Focused breathing; Strength; 10) Sivananda (lifestyle): Vegetarian; Prenatal; Chanting; Meditation; Relaxing; Slow-pace; Focused breathing; 11) Jivamukti
(lifestyle): Vegetarian; Chanting; Meditation; Strength; Endurance; Flow.
- More than 20 million Americans regularly practice yoga.
- Adults with chronic or recurring low-back pain who practice yoga for 12 weeks can experience better function than usual medical care.
- Twice weekly yoga practice for two months showed a significant decrease in levels of depression as well as levels of both state and trait anxiety.
- Improver sleep. Studies have shown that the quality of sleep, even for chronic insomniacs, improved within eight weeks of practicing yoga on a regular basis. Yoga can help you sleep better, which can boost your mood and energy
- Improves sex life. researcher found that yoga treated premature ejaculation more effectively than fluoxetine (Prozac). In one study, 100 percent of the yoga group had improvement in premature ejaculation and sexual satisfaction,
compared to 82 percent of those taking fluoxetine. Other research has shown that yoga meditation can enhance a woman's lobido and treat sexual dysfunction. Yoga meditation cultivates mindfulness - an awareness of the present
moment - and that can significantly improve a woman's sexual arousal and response.
Posing for success?
- Adho Mukha Svanasana (downward dog). Lengthens and decompresses the spine, stretches the hamstrings, strengthens the arms, flushes the brain with oxygen and calms the mind.
- Balasana (child pose). Slims the waist, strengthens the legs and core, and aids in correcting posture imbalances.
- Padmasana (lotus). Hip opener, strengthens spine, calms the brain, eases menstrual discomfort, and restores energy levels.
- Virabhadrasana I (warrior 1). Strengthens the legs, opens the chest and shoulders.
- Virabhadrasana II (warrior 1). Strengthens the legs and arms, opens the chest and shoulders, tones the abdomen.
- Trikonasana (triangle). Slims the waist, strengthens the legs and core, and aids in correcting posture imbalances.
- Chaturanga (four limbed staff). Strengthens the arms, wrists and abdomen. Good preparation for more challenging arm balances.
- Bandha Sarvangasana (bridge). Strengthens the spine, opens the chest, improves spinal flexibility, stimulates the thyroid.
- Utkatasana (chair). Tones the leg muscles. Strengthens hip flexors, ankles, calves and back. Stretches chest and shoulders. reduces symptoms of flat feet, stimulates the heart, diaphragm, and abdominal organs.
- Vrksasana (tree). Strengthens legs, improves balance.
- Navasana (boat). Builds abdominal and core strength.
- Tittibhasana (firefly). Strengthens the wrists, forearms and abdomen. Stretches the hamstrings.
- Salamba Sirsasana (headstand). Calms the mind. Strengthens the arms, legs and spine. Improves balance.
- Natarajasana (king dancer). Strengthens legs, improves balance and core strength, stretches the shoulders.
- Savasana (corpse). Lowers blood pressure, relaxes heart rate, calms the mind and makes you fall in love with yoga.
By: C.Robles | Namaste | HealthCentral | Sources: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20178291; http://nccam.nih.gov/health/yoga/introduction.htm; http://www.yogajournal.com/press/yoga_in_america; http://www.yogajournal.
com/health/549;http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19090937; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1788067; http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/c/223360/135985/mojo-back/2; http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/