Courageous + Contentious Cover Songs: Our favorite Covers By Faithfulness To Original An Overall Quality
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In music, that may or may not ring true depending on who decides to cover your song. Some covers are great because of their creative departure from the original in terms of sound
and arrangement, while others are great because they stay true to the original. But there are many covers that, frankly, should never have been attempted. This list is nowhere near exhaustive, we merely picked some of the most
famous of all time. Where would you plot some of your favorite (and least favorite) covers?
- Jeff Buckley: "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen.
- Gary Jules: "Mad World" by Tears For Tears.
- The Clash: "I Fought The Law" by The Crickets.
- Jimi Hendrix: "All Along The Watchtower" by Bob Dylan.
- David Bowie: "China Girl" by Iggy Pop.
- Elvis Costello: ("What's So Funny 'Bout") "Peace Love And Understanding" by Brinsley Schwarz.
- Manfred Mann's Earth Band: "Blinded By The Light" by Bruce Springsteen.
- Led Zeppelin: "Dazed And Confused" by Jake Holmes.
- Joan Jett and The Blackhearts: "I Love Rock 'N Roll" by The Arrows.
- The Byrds: "Turn, Turn, Turn" by Pete Seeger.
- The Beatles: "Twist And Shout" by the Isley Brothers.
- Blondie: "Hanging On The Telephone" by The Nerves.
- Whitney Houston: "I Will Always Love You" by Dolly Parton.
- Aerosmith: "Come Together" by The Beatles.
Sacrilege. How good is the song compared to the original?
- Deftones: "No Ordinary Love" by Sade.
- Michael Bolton: "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay" by Otis redding.
- 311: "Love Song" by The Cure.
- Celine Dion & Anastacia: "You Look Me All Night Long" by AC/DC.
- Kid Rock: "Feel Like Makin' Love" by Bad Company.
- Limp Bizkit: "Behind The Eyes" by The Who.
- Madonna: "American Pie" by Don McLean.
- Alien Ant Farm: "Smooth Criminal" by Michael Jackson.
- Iron & Wine: "Such Great Heights" by The Postal Service.
- Devo: "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by Rolling Stones.
- Scissor Sisters: "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd.
- Ryan Adams: "Wonderwall" by Oasis.
- Johnny Cash: "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails.
How much does the song sound like the original?
- Elvis: "Hound Dog" by Big Mama Thornton.
- Aretha Franklin: "Respect" by Otis Redding.
- Soft Cell: "Tainted Love" by Gloria Jones.
- Nirvana: "The Man Who Sold The World" by David Bowie.