Musicians With Doctorates
- Genre: punk; rock; pop; electronic; other.
- Field: history; linguistics; literature; visual arts; mathematics; science.
In his book, Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell argues that one of the keys to success is an investment of 10.000 hours of practice. The musicians below have not only managed to put in the time to become experts in
their genres, but have somehow managed to acquire doctorates as well.
- Pop: 1) Brian Briggs - PhD in zoology, University of Oxford (Stornoway - co-founder/singer); 2) Brian Cox - PhD in physics, University of Manchester (D:Ream - keyboardist); 3) Mira Aroyo - PhD in
Molecular Genetics, University of Oxford (Ladytron - keyboardist/singer).
- Electronic: 1) Dan Snaith - PhD in mathematics, Imperial College (Caribou - producer); 2) David Macklovitch - PhD in French lit, Columbia University (Chromeo - lead singer/guitarist); 3) Drew Daniel -
PhD in English lit, University of California, Berkeley (Matmos - producer).
- Other: 1) Robert Leonard - PhD in linguistics, Hofstra University (Sha Na Na - founding member); 2) Buffy Sainte-Marie - PhD in Fine Art, University of Massachusetts (singer/songwriter).
- Punk: 1) Greg Graffin - PhD in zoology, Cornell University (Bad Religion - lead singer); 2) Milo Aukerman - PhD in biochemistry, University of Wisconsin (The Descendents - lead singer); 3) Gregg Turner
PhD in mathematics, Claremont University (Angry Samoans - co-founder); 4) Ethan Port - PhD in mathematics, University of Southern California (Savage Republic - co-founder); 5) Dr. James Lilja M.D. in
gynecological oncology, UCLA (The Offspring - drummer).
- Rock: 1) Brian May - PhD in astrophysics, Imperial College (Queen - guitarist); 2) Sterling Morrison - PhD in medical studies, University of Texas (The Velvet Underground - co-founder/guitarist); 3) Phil
Alvin - PhD in mathematics & artificial intelligence, UCLA (The Blasters - guitarist/vocalist); 4) Warren Zanes - PhD in visual & cultural arts, University of Rochester (The del Fuegos - guitarist).