Summer Music Festival Wrap-Up
Every summer, millions of fans flock to the dozens of music festivals hosted around the world. We decided to pick apart six of the most popular of these festivals, looking at the size of the attendance, the headliners, and
a few other fun facts. Which one will you attend next year?
- Bonnaroo. Location: Manchester, TN. Month: June.First year held: 2002. 2011 headliners(s): Eminem, Arcade Fire. Number of acts promoted: 175. Attendance: 80.000. Foursquare check-ins: 2.896. Random fact: The
first festival sold without any formal advertising, earning it a spot in Rolling Stone's top 50 moments in rock & roll history.
- Glastonbury. Location: Pilton, Somerset, England. Month: June.First year held: 1972. 2011 headliners(s): U2, Coldplay, Beyonce. Number of acts promoted: 76. Attendance: 135.000. Foursquare check-ins: 1.112.
Random fact: Glastonbury donates a large amount of its proceeds to charity. In 2009 the whole event was worth.£82 million to the British economy.
- Outside lands. Location: San Francisco, CA. Month: August.First year held: 2008. 2011 headliners(s): Muse, Arcade Fire, Phish. Number of acts promoted: 71. Attendance: 180.000. Foursquare check-ins: 180.000.
Random fact: In a nod to San Francisco's foodie culture, the festival offers everything from deep fried mac and cheese to organic wine from dozens of local eateries and wineries..
- Sziget Fest. Location: Budapest, Hungary. Month: August.First year held: 1993. 2011 headliners(s): Prince, The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Pulp. Number of acts promoted: 120. Attendance: 385.000. Foursquare
check-ins: 342. Random fact: A 30 meter high tower covered in 1.5 million LED lights was erected to be a lookout platform, gaming station, Internet provider, charging station and DJ venue.
- Lollapalooza. Location: Chicago, IL. Month: August.First year held: 1991. 2011 headliners(s): Coldplay, Eminem, Foo Fighters. Number of acts promoted: 114. Attendance: 270.000. Foursquare check-ins: 6.454.
Random fact: Nirvana was scheduled to headline the festival in 1994 but officially opted out on April 7. Kurt Cobain's body was discovered the next day.
- Rock En Seine. Location: Domaine National de saint-Cloud, France. Month: August. First year held: 2003. 2011 headliners(s): Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys, Archive. Number of acts promoted: 63. Attendance:
108.000. Foursquare check-ins: 1.183. Random fact: In 2009, Oasis cancelled their show two minutes before they were to go on stage after brothers Liam and Noel Gallagher got into an "altercation" in which Noel's
guitar was smashed by Liam. The band has never played since.
Sources: Bonnarroo.com | Lollapalooza.com | Sfoutsidelands.com | Glastonbutyfestivals.co.uk | Engadget.com | Foursquare.com | Sziget.hu | Billboard.com.