The Rise Of The Rock Festival
With the festival season well underway, millions of fans around the world are leading up their tents and coolers and shelling out cash to travel to the top parties of the summer. From ancient Greece to Lollapalooza, get a
look at some of the biggest music festivals in the world, the current trends in festival attendance, a portrait of the typical festival goer, and a look at what happens when music festivals go wrong.
2012 State Of The Music Festival
- 27.3% increase in average attendance from 2010.
- 45% increase in average gross profit from 2010.
- $10-40 million average revenue of large venues.
- $305 million average budget of large venues.
- 38% of festival goers believe tickets are overpriced.
- 48% of festival goers believe ticket companies profit the most from booking fees.
- 24% believe the promoter rakes in the most.
- Yet tickets still go fast! Coachella 2012 tickets sold out in 3 hours!
Getting to know the festival goer
Common characteristics of the music fanatic:
- Average age: 28. 53% of festival goers are female.
- Favorite genre: rock.
- Average salary: $28.000.
- 19% have children.
- 17% download music free.
- 46% are single and unattached.
-20% have tried cannabis.
- 25% have left their tent at a festival.
- 39% travel to festivals via public transport.
- 30-50 number of units (pint of hard alcohol or glass of wine) of alcohol consumed.
Popular festivals by the numbers
- Lollapalooza. Attendance: 300.000. Ticket price: $230. Length: 3 days.
- Coachella. Attendance: 250.000. Ticket price: $349. Length: 3 days.
- SXSW. Attendance: 200.000. Ticket price: $750. Length: 6 days.
- Bumbershoot. Attendance: 125.000. Ticket price: $165. Length: 3 days.
- Bonnaroo. Attendance: 120.000. Ticket price: $209. Length: 4 days.
- Sasquatch. Attendance: 120.000. Ticket price: $209. Length: 4 days.
A closer look at some of the top festivals
- CMA (Country Music Association). Average daily attendance: 65.000. Number of media credentials issued: 770. Number of domestic and international media outlets present: 210. Average fan age: 38.6. Number of
nations fans came from: 27.
- SXSW. Festival's boost to Austin's economy in 2011: $168 million. Hotel revenue: $74 million. Booze revenue: $46 million. Average hotel room rate during the festival: $240. Number of musical acts: 2.286. Number of
countries they represent: 56.
- Glastonbury. Amount of water consumed (3 million gallons). Number of toilets used (2.500). amount of human waste collected (600.000 gallons). Electricity needed to power the festival (30 megawatts). Street value of
illicit drugs seized by police at the 2011 festival ($70.00).
Music festivals throughout the ages
- 4.500 BCE. Ancient Egyptian religious music festivals.
- 600 BCE. Ancient Greek athletic and music festivals.
- 1897. Irish Music festival in dublin.
- 1924. Attendance: 100.000. Ole Time Fiddlers and Bluegrass Festival, North Carolina.
- 1967. Attendance: 50.000. Monterey International Pop Festival.
- 1968. Attendance: 100.000. Newport Pop Festival.
- 1969. Attendance: 500.000. Woodstock.
- 1970. Attendance: 200.000. Atlanta Pop Festival.
- 1985. Attendance: 1 million. Live Aid - 10 cities around the globe on one day.
- 1995. Attendance: 500.000. Van's Warped Tour.
When music festival attack
- Ozark Music festival, 1974.
50.000 - number of fans promoters promised would attend.
350.000 - number of fans that actually showed up.
800 - number of people treated for drug overdoses.
Massive traffic jams crippled the city.
- Woodstock Music 7 Art fair, 1969.
9-mile traffic jams halted performer entry to the festival and many were brought in by army helicopters.
When a concession stand raised its burger price from 25 cents to $1 festival goers burned it down, seeing the price hike as capitalism.
400.000 people attended the festival during its peak time.
- Altamont Speedway Free Festival, 1969.
2 - number of people killed in a hit-and-run or accident.
$500 worth of beer. Payment for the Hells Angels, hired by the Rolling Stones as security.
1 teenager with a gun was stabbed to death by a member of the motorcycle gang.
1 fan drowned in an irrigation canal.
4 - number of births at the festival.
Sources: http://www.bumbershoot.org; http://www.sasquatchfestial.com; http://www.lollapalooza.com; http://www.bonnaroo.com; http://www.sxsw.com; http://www.the street.com/story/11530314/1/10-best-summer-
music-festivals-youre-not-seeing.html; http://www.sonsequenceofsound.net/2012/04/coachella-2012-sets-attendance-record; http://www.orbitz.com/blog/us-music-festivals-2012;