ALUMINIUM RECYCLING FACTS
- Household packaging is accountable for only 3% of all waste that goes to landfill.
- In the UK the amount of electrical waste we create in one year would fill Wembley Stadium six times!
- Every tonne of paper recycled saves 17 trees.
- In the UK we throw away thirteen billion steel cans every year, stacked on top would make three piles of cans that reach the moon.
- The energy saved by recycling one aluminium drink can is enough to run a television for three hours.
- The energy saved from recycling one glass bottle is enough to power a light bulb for four hours.
- Every steel can is 100% recyclable. It can be recycled over and over again into products like bicycles and of course new cans!
- Two million TV sets are discarded every year - most end up in landfill sites.
- Glass containers are on average 30% lighter than in the 1980's.
- Each year we throw away about six hundred million batteries. Laid end to end these batteries would reach from the UK to Australia and back again.
- Every person in Britain uses about 5 batteries a year.
- Each year in the UK households throw away over 29.1 million tonnes of waste, that's approximately the same weight as 4.85 million male african elephants.