5 Tips to Make Your LinkedIn Profile Irresistible
- #1 Keyword in your profile. Search Engine Optimization is a key element on LinkedIn. Keywords that highlight your skills help potential employers find you. Your profile on LinkedIn should be a snapshot of your background, so add
specific keywords such as "master of community management", or "social crisis reputation manager". Tip: Avoid cliché, hyperbolical keywords. If you say "I'm The Bat Girl of social CRM", you are doing yourself a huge injustice.
- #2 Who do you want to be seen as? Who do you want to be seen as: a leader, an expert, a worker bee? Make sure your headline and personal tagline accurately describes who you are, and make sure that aligns with your resume and
who you actually are. If someone calls to inquire more about you, you shouldn't describe yourself as something different that what's on your LinkedIn profile.
- #3 Tell us your story. Its easier to understand your professional background when it is in story form. Seeing clearly how you arrived from point A to point Z, gaining skills and expertise along the way, demonstrates to potential
employers that you have carefully aimed for a particular career, strategically. Tip: Another part of your story is in how you are connected. having a great network of contacts helps potential employers see how serious you are about
- #4 Use a professional profile photo. The photo you choose sends a strong message about who you are. If your professional profile photo is of you in a casual circumstance, such as a you at a sporting activity, party, wedding, or with
your pet, then it doesn't come across as "professional". And, what's worse than having a bad photo is having no photo at all. Tip: Make sure your photo isn't blurry. Look professional! Avoid flashy clothing, jewelry, hats, or sunglasses.
- #5 Use your profile link. Using your personal LinkedIn URL adds polish to your professional status. Don't just copy and paste the URL of your profile, because it's full of unnecessary characters. Instead, use your unique link to share
your profile, it includes your name. Everyone has a unique profile link. Look for it next to your contact info.
Social@Ogilvy | By @NandoRecruit, Sr. Social Media Recruiter, NA.